Haggis

The_Munchmaster

limbo said:What is Haggis made of?

It is normally made with sheep's heart, liver and lungs, minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices and salt, mixed with stock and traditionally boiled in the sheep's stomach for several hours (synthetic bag used nowadays).

Sounds gruesome, tastes devine.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The_Munchmaster said:
limbo said:What is Haggis made of?

It is normally made with sheep's heart, liver and lungs, minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices and salt, mixed with stock and traditionally boiled in the sheep's stomach for several hours (synthetic bag used nowadays).

Sounds gruesome, tastes devine.

Thnaks, was afraid of that :neener:

Really would to taste it though, heard it mentioned so many times.

I'm glad that someone from Scotland corrected me on the cow's intestine versus sheep's stomach. I don't think that an intestine would be nearly big enough and definately messy. No self respecting butcher in Scotland would sell haggis in a tin but I did find it at a souviner shop in Edinburgh. I bought it, along with the other two items to be cooked for a proper haggis meal (I forget the two other item but both are vegetables; turnips and something else). I then gave it to my cousin's husband, whose ancestery is from Scotland (I offered to buy him a kilt but he declined) but I doubt if he ate it.

If you're from the US you could be forgiven for thinking that haggis is made from cow. This is because the US does not allow the import of any products, for human consumption, containing any animals lungs. Hence the traditional Scottish haggis is not available in the US. However a US company called The Caledonian Kitchen, based in Dallas, Texas, does produce a highland beef haggis which is widely available in the US.

Many moons ago there was a Meat packer in Bkk that supplied Haggis during the Robbie Burns festival. Even had several varieties. I remember having some sent up to Chiang Mai one year. I would think that some specialty butcher still produces it during the season.

Sorry, I can't remember who it was but was definately one of the big meat packers.

Archived