Haggis

The_Munchmaster

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that it has to do with the "thrifty" nature od Scots and not wansting to waste andy part of the sheep (not tht I have found the Scots to be cheap in my dealings with them). Its the same reason that the Irish had the potato as their main staple for centuries.

I had my haggis the other night and it was delish and right enough The Arsenal did stuff Blackburn. Unfortunately I put the neeps and tatties on to boil at the same time, forgetting that neeps need about 10 minutes longer than tatties. So the haggis and the tatties were ready but the neeps weren't. I didn't have a wee dram with the haggis (glass of red wine instead) but did have a large Lagavulin afterwards.

Obviously before I started eating I 'Addressed The Haggis', as we Scots do, which goes something like this:

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,

Great chieftain o' the puddin race!

Aboon them a' ye tak your place,

Painch, tripe or thairm;

Weel are ye wordy o' a grace,

As lang's my arm.

The groaning trencher there ye fill,

Your hurdies like a distant hill,

Your pin wad help to mend a mill,

In time o' need,

While thro' your pores the dews distil,

Like amber bead.

His knife see rustic labour dight,

An' cut you up wi' ready sleight,

Trenching your gushing entrails bright,

Like ony ditch;

And then, O what a glorious sight,

Warm, reekin, rich.

There's another 5 versus but I won't go on.

• 3 months later...

Munch,

Why did you resurrect this thread

I have the munchies and am gagging for some decent black pudding now after reading this.

Bollox I'll just have to pretend I am Irish and go and get pissed for paddies night

As far as the Haggis in Dubai goes, Hey Johnnie Black is still available in Saudi, its just a cost of living increase.

The_Munchmaster said:That's the last straw for me, I'm leaving Dubai.

I've left that place for a lot less :grinyes:, but I love my haggis, my Scottish granny introduced it to me when I was about 11, god love her, the memories, didn't know wtf it was until well afterwards but woofed it down anyway ::

• 3 weeks later...

Archived