How to bring narcotic pain medication into LOS?

mongatu

Thinking of coming to Thailand for a long stay on a retirement visa. At home I use legally prescribed narcotic pain medication that is not available in Thailand (so can't get it there). Therefore I would like to bring in a large supply with me when I go to Thailand, but obviously I don't want to get into trouble for attempting to bring controlled substances into LOS.

I'd be most interested if anyone has any experience or knowledge about how to do this legally they could share.

Are you sure it is not available? Most narcotics are available thru hospitals -- just bring your farangland script and have a local doc write a local one for ya. You can phone the pharmacies at Bumrungrad &/or BNH &/or BGH to see if your drug is available.

To make life much easier on yourself, I would a) check to be certain it is not available here and B) if not, talk to your farangland doctor and have him change your script to something international (i.e., available here). You can then use that drug before you come to be sure it works for you. Repeat as necessary.

I really do not think bringing a large supply of any drug is a good idea because of storage issues. But a large supply of narcotics could land you in the pokey! Look at it from the Thai coppers point of view -- they do not know who you are nor if your need is legitimate or a cover to sell. IME, a month's supply, no issue. More than that, trouble!

Cheers,

SD

mongatu,

Good advice from Suadum. I also use a narcotic painkiller for a medical problem. In the US I was prescribed Tylenol with codiene (#3). Here they do not have Tylenol #3, but they do have Tylenol #2. Just half the codiene as number 3 has in it, so I just double up on the #2's and everything is fine. Most meds ARE available through the local hospital pharmacies. But, at street pharmacies these meds are no longer "legally" available. Best to get yourself a personal physician in Thailand at one of the local hospitals and explain your needs to him or her. I'd bring a copy of my prescriptions and a copy of my medical chart if I were you. Most Thai doctors in Bangkok can read English if not always speak it so well. Conversely you could always go to a translation service and have your medical charts translated into Thai to make it easier for medical personnel treating you. Have them place your copied medical reports in to your Thai hospital file. When living up-country this can be a bit more difficult (though not impossible as I do it here in Surin and have no real problems). In Bangkok though it shouldn't be much of a problem at all.

By the way, out of curiosity, which medicines are you taking that you do not think is available in Thailand?

Cent

The advice given by Suadam is spot on. Bringing in a large amount, even with a script, would be very foolish. You need to do your home work first. Send an email to bumingrand and confirm that you cannot get the same med (honestly, relatively unlikley as hospitals are much more free in what they can have/sell). If you really cannot get it, then get your doc to change the med. Even if you bought in 6 months of your regular, what you gonna do after that? May as well sort it out now as later.

-j-

Hello mongatu,

I'm always glad to be of assistance. We know each other quite well; and, we know the medication you are referring to is not available here in Thailand. I have some very useful information for you. You can pm me or contact me via regular email. Right now, Yahoo is working better than Hotmail for me ... I'm sure you're familiar with my connectivity issues where I reside in E. Pattaya.

At this point, let me assure you that you can legally accomplish your goal. You know that I am in a similar situation with respect to cetain medications that I take; and, I reside here on a retirement visa. The U.S. Embassy can and will offer assistance if necessary. They were more than willing to help me in a similar situation. I look forward to offering some guidance.

To all: Thanks all for the responses. Some good advice. Especially about the one month supply point. (NPP, will email you.)

To answer the questions posed in response to my OP, I should note that I had done a bit of research before asking the question in the OP. I spoke to a doctor at Bumrungrad on my last visit specifically about what pain meds are available in Thailand (at hospitals with a doctor's rx). Believe it or not, the strongest tylenol & codeine tablets they have in Thailand only has 15 mg. of codeine in it. Moreover, they don't have oxycodone or hydrocodone at all, in any form. They have the weak T&C, tramadol (or equivalent) which is expensive and pretty worthless imo, and then they jump straight to morphine tablets. I didn't ask about anything stronger than that because it is not applicable to my situation. Although morphine tablets are available in LOS, it is somewhat hard to get a doctor to prescribe them there, (I think they may only be available in limited quantities) and anyway are probably overkill for my particular situation. And another downside of morphine is that there is even more danger of addiction with morphine then there is with the others mentioned above.

Getting the 15 mg T&C in Thailand from a doctor is not that difficult. The problem with that for me is that I need to take the #4's which contain 60 mg. codeine (and sometimes need to take 2 of those). I would have to take 4 of the one's available in Thailand just to equal 60 mg. codeine. Aside from being expensive, this would result in my ingesting dangerous amounts of Tylenol (1200 mg per dose) which in those dosages, over time, would be highly toxic to the liver. Moreover, this liver toxicity is exacerbated if any alcohol is also consumed. So the 15 mg. T&Cs available in Thailand are not going to be much use for me.

Going a little OT here, I find it somewhat ironic that when one is taking these meds on a long term basis, it is the Tylenol which is most dangerous from a health point of view. Apart from the danger of addiction, the narcotic component is pretty benign healthwise. Btw, my doctor in the U.S. told me the reason Tylenol is put in there in the first place is not primarily for its analgesic effect. It is put in there because it makes it more difficult to abuse the narcotic component.

Pure oxycodone (unadulterated with any Tylenol) is available by rx in the U.S., however, because it is pure and thus more easily abused than the formulations containing Tylenol, the pure form is a "Schedule 2" controlled substance which is very highly regulated and only a 30 day supply can be obtained per month in the U.S. The American DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) scrutinizes Schedule 2 controlled substance rx's very closely which tends to inhibit most doctors from issuing rx's for them, which, of course is the DEA's intent. Pretty sad situation for those who have legitimate needs for these meds. and who don't want to destroy their livers with completely unecessary high does of Tylenol.

I am at least fortunate in that I have a doc who recognizes all of the above and is willing to prescribe T&C #4 and Oxy w/o Tylenol for me, but as I mentioned in the original post, I am concerned about bringing them into Thailand since they aren't even available there. But I gather from some of the responses above that a one month supply probably wouldn't cause the authorities much concern. I was also planing on having my doctor write a letter for me to carry explaining my medical necessity for these meds. which I think should help if I am questioned about it. The suggestion to bring a copy of my relevant medical records is a good one too.

Actually, I can stretch what I can carry as a legitimate "one month supply" to last me about 3 months. If I could legally bring in a three month supply, that would probably last me about 9 months. I would probably be returning to the U.S. within 9 months anyway for a visit and thus have an opportunity to obtain more, so if a 3 month supply of T&C #4 could be legally brought in, I would probably be OK. I would just have to make do w/o the Oxy, which I could do. (Especially if I have a tgf talented in massage around to help me. :))

Anyway, will check with NPP further about this.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mongatu,

When you mentioned "Although morphine tablets are available in LOS, ... (I think they may only be available in limited quantities) ..." this is indeed true.

With morphine sulfate, each hospital pharmacy only receives a certain amount per year. Once the supply is exhausted, the hospital cannot receive any more until after Jan. 1 of the following year. The same is true with sleeping pills, although the codeine ("NASA" - codeine 15mg with paracetamol or tylenol 300mg) as well as diazepam (muscle relaxant, anti-anxiety, sleeping aid) are available without restrictions as to quantity. Moreover, prescriptions for these can be refilled (with doctor's permission) at the hospital pharmacy where original prescription was obtained by just first checking in with the nurse at the check-in counter. Just ask the doctor for prior approval for this; and, he'll make a note in your chart.

A note of interest is that not all hospital pharmacies carry the same set of medications. They may differ by substance and by manufacturer.

BTW, if you have not heard back from the legal department at the U.S. Embassy (American Citizens Services) in BKK by email, I suggest you call them during operating hours.

Of course, you could check directly with Thai Customs with respect to your situation. The 'ball really is in their court.' ... no pun intended!

I have been in a position to require permission to carry pharmaceutical products for humanitarian reasons. In Oz we have the Australian Pharmaceutical Advisory Council. Government agency set up to answer questions like yours. It is a fairly simple progress here so I'm sure there would be the equivilent in your country.

Archived