Girls travelling overseas...

Encore

Jasmine,

In my case I think I was also a bit worried that perhaps they were not being entirely honest with me and that they may have agreed to enter into prostitution in Farangland or something not entirely kosher (like a "legit" MP) just to get the Visa..........which then turned out to be not as expected / promised.

Although I will have to defer to others for first hand experiance about the sex industry in Farangland (honest!) it seems to be not unusual for the working practices (for foreigners with no visas / expired visas) to be barbaric.

(Whilst I will not say that the Farang Nightlife scene in Thailand is a GREAT place to be a prostitute - their are a lot worse places to do thr job............)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thai women seem to travel overseas more for work then we might imagine.

This summer, one Thai lady got a visa on her own and came to falangland. Once here, she quickly tied up with the local temple I go to. The monks and the people who attend the temple steered her in a direction that got her a job (no work permit) that pays about 40,000 baht per month as a cook (long hours X 7 days a week). She is happy with this arrangement.

[color:"blue"] In my case I think I was also a bit worried that perhaps they were not being entirely honest with me and that they may have agreed to enter into prostitution in Farangland or something not entirely kosher (like a "legit" MP) just to get the Visa..........which then turned out to be not as expected / promised.

[/color]

I took sometimes yesterday (most of you know that even thoug I am retired, my brains and time are completely tangled with learning French :o) to look up my resouces of some articles written on the subject of women working overseas. This is what I found, written by a writer (novels), a Thai born, married to a Norwegian, with MS from England.

The article states that due to the proverty and limited opportunities in Thailand, many women take risk. This article was written in 2003. The author and a social organization just rescued 5 women, 4 Thais, 1 Fillipino from 2 massage parlors. All of them were doing more than the massages. (The author never mentioned whether these activities were legal or not, if anyone knows about Norwegian law please enlight me, my appreciations).

The point of this article is to warn the Thais about the danger of working overseas, especially for women. However, most of these women did not mind doing the prostitution, only one complained because her background was serious medical massage. The author also stated that 3 of these women already planned to work overseas again before they even left Norway (They were sent back to Thailand) and only the traditional one swore never to do it again. The 3 mentioned even planned to do shopping with the organization's donated money when they stopped at certain airports during the flight to Thailand.

For me I don't understand the thinking but I know what poverty is. Also, if ones are willing to do prostitution and it is legal, perhaps, it is ok :: My problem is when ones are forced to do.

Jasmine

[color:"blue"] BTW any plans to head off to France? to practise the French?? At least you will have one big advantage in France over most of us "native" English speakers............the locals won't think you are English

[/color]

I worked for an American company/US Army in Europe for 4 years, mainly in Germany but travelled to France also. In the younger days my French was better, just after 35 years of non usage, it became terrible, especially the speaking. Could read some all these years, almost went to France for school also, felt I made the correct decision to come to the USA than France though. I love languages and the next one will be Arabic. :)

Back to the subject, Thai women are everywhere, sadly many of them are prostitutes or practice it discreetly. There are a few in the USA, you would find even the ones over 50 years old, some just never make it. There are a few in DC area, one who was arrested recently (Source-an employee at Thai Embassy, I have no prove whether it is true or not) was a student. So I feel that a lot of women feel this is one quick, lucretive way for money ::

In California, a few women came in as tourists and stay and operate in houses and get away with it.

Jasmine

So I feel that a lot of women feel this is one quick, lucretive way for money

I guess so. Whilst to some extent I can understand this in Thailand for someone with little chance of getting a well paid "respectable" job............it's a shame that this attitude travels with some to Farangland in that this is all they feel they are capable of for "good" money. Of course their is for some at least (IMHO) a large element of sheer laziness in this decision.............

I've met plenty of gals in the thai nightlife who I KNOW have the smarts to do so much more, given the opportunities available in Farangland, (even without the paper quallies).........and I am not just talking about the "street smarts" for the BG job.

If I did not drink so much in the bars it would disturb me. :: ::

[color:"blue"] If I did not drink so much in the bars it would disturb me.

[/color]

I do agree with you that some of them just need an opportunity, mostly mature ones who had other jobs before the bars. For what I observed, the ones who enter the bars very early as the first job, never seem to far well.

If you read my old posts about over a year ago, IMO, prostitution is an easy, lazy way out. A woman from humble means like me could have done it and amassed certain amount of funds but we have never done it simply of our ways of thinking. Sex is something special to share with someone very special, to share it because of money is beyond my understanding. ::

Jasmine

Jasmine, that is my observation also. I think the earlier a girl enters the nightlife scene then the more likely she is to succumb to drink or drugs. And also never having had a normal job many once they 'harden' are too lazy to get an ordinary job on the low wages that such jobs pay in Thailand. They find the far better paying life in the bars etc an easier option than 10 or 12 hours a day on minimum wage.

Simie.

Archived