Please be careful !

New Petchburi Pete

Hi,

New Petchburi Pete, great post!

"fire away khun sanuk.

i know some words and phrases,but always willing to learn."

OK, here goes (does feel a bit awkward posting this after New Petchburi Pete's post).

A disclaimer first.

These words are *very* impolite and are *not* to be used. Using them at the wrong time with the wrong person can get you in serious trouble.

So, do NOT use them!

ee : you (female), unpolite

ay : you (male), unpolite

yet mae : motherfucker (lit. fuck mother)

cip paay : damn (can be stand alone or in combination, i.e. 'roon cip paay' = bloody/damn hot)

khuay/khuay huh : dick

ee/ay ba : you crazy

ee/ay kwaay : you buffalo

ee/ay sat : you animal

ee/ay hia : you lizard (?)

ee hoi : you cunt

ee dtua : you body (?) (this seems to be used towards katoeys a lot, I believe)

garee : whore

I am certain there are more, but these are the ones I can remember at the moment.

Sanuk!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

ee : you (female), unpolite

ay : you (male), unpolite

Used among close friends however, there is nothing unpolite about those two terms. They are normally used with a person`s name as in ee Gaep ay Suchart etc.

quote:

yet mae : motherfucker (lit. fuck mother)

Can also be used as a curse as in damn or I`ll be damned.

quote:

cip paay : damn (can be stand alone or in combination, i.e. 'roon cip paay' = bloody/damn hot)

Isn`t that cip haay? With a H? I couldn`t be sure though as I`ve never seen it written, but it sounds like Haay to me.

quote:

khuay/khuay huh : dick

ee/ay ba : you crazy

ee/ay kwaay : you buffalo

ee/ay sat : you animal

ee/ay hia : you lizard (?)

Hia or the Dtua Ngun Dtua Thong refers more specifically to the Monitor Lizard which is believed to bring bad luck in Thailand.

quote:

Never heard that used as a curse.

ee hee would be much more rude.

quote:

ee dtua : you body (?) (this seems to be used towards katoeys a lot, I believe)

Dtua does mean body, however, it is also the classifier/counter for animals whereas khon is the appropriate classifier/counter for people. Hence calling somebody ee dtua is much the same as ee Sat. Animal.

quote:

garee : whore

If you wanna be rude you might as well spice it up a little with a Dorg Thong Garee Chang Yet. laugh.gif" border="0

[ February 21, 2002: Message edited by: Hua Nguu ]

Hi,

"Used among close friends however, there is nothing unpolite about those two terms. They are normally used with a person`s name as in ee Gaep ay Suchart etc."

This is mostly done by people in the lower 'classes' though.

"Isn`t that cip haay?"

Could very well be. No idea how to transliterate it.

"Never heard that used as a curse.

ee hee would be much more rude."

Never heard 'ee hee'. What does that mean?

Sanuk!

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

Hi,

"Used among close friends however, there is nothing unpolite about those two terms. They are normally used with a person`s name as in ee Gaep ay Suchart etc."

This is mostly done by people in the lower 'classes' though.

"Isn`t that cip haay?"

Could very well be. No idea how to transliterate it.

"Never heard that used as a curse.

ee hee would be much more rude."

Never heard 'ee hee'. What does that mean?

Sanuk!

ee hee means the very same thing.

• 1 month later...

Pete,

I have just the opposite problem.

My wife was in the Thai army for 7 years prior to getting her degree in education. I can't break her of using Thai curse words.

She was never in bars so she hasn't become accustomed to Western swears.

When she is out with friends she'll be using "ku" and "mun" and saying things like "Y haw." We're about to go into business with a friend who is a Mom Rajawongse.

It's embarrassing when we're together and she lets one slip. I usually say to her: "Mai ruejahk supap sudtree." Which gets everyone laughing.

Except me.

I guess just like the guys who married ex-BGs say "you can take the girl out of the bar, but you can't take the bar out of the girl."

I say "I can take the girl out of the army, but I can't take the army out of the girl."

OK,

Now that I've read some more of the posts, I'll screw up my previous one by sharing the knowledge the Thai long tail boat captains shared with me during surface intervals between dives.

Now this is Southern Thai cursing, Phuket to be exact.

Plus my wife is from Central Thailand so her cursing is probably more Bangkok.

Ku - me (impolite - considered low breeding)

mun - you (same as above)

ee heah-nee - you cunt

huah dohr - dickhead

ee saht - you animal (is much worse than it sounds)

deen ku, law mahk-gwa nah mun - my feet are better looking than your face (particularly nasty in Thailand, DO NOT say this under any circumstances unless you really want to know how General Custer felt at the Little Big Horn)

As well as all the others previously posted.

Again anyone thinking of using these in Thailand should consider:

1) It will make Thais immediately sure you were bred by pigs

2) Could easily cause you to end up in some alley with your throat cut

3) Don't assume just because you think you've made a close Thai friend that its OK to use these words - you will quickly find out you "ain't Thai"

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never heard that used as a curse.

ee hoi is mostly used by thai girls who are very close as a "fun name" !! to call each other. It can also be used as a curse.

hoy would translate better as pussy. Its not that bad.

hee and hoy have a similar meaning, though hoy seems to be used in a slightly nicer form. You could say gin hoy (eat pussy), but hee is rather used to be really insulting. Try: na hee (cunt face) to piss off a Thai to the limit

"Dtua does mean body, however, it is also the classifier/counter for animals whereas khon is the appropriate classifier/counter for people. Hence calling somebody ee dtua is much the same as ee Sat. Animal."

ee dtua is actually Thai slang for whore I believe. Probably one of the more offensive terms for whore at that.

Archived