A trip to Wat Arun

Chlp

Today, I took my GF to one of my favorite places in Bangkok--Wat Arun. She's never been there and she's an avid wat goer, and I figured it would be a nice half-day outing.

We went to Saphan Taksin BTS station and took a cab from there. It was Friday afternoon and the traffic was horrible; luckily we were going against the commute and 20 minutes later we were at our destination.

Wat Arun is a very relaxing place. Being in Thonburi, it is more difficult to get to than Wat Phra Kaew or Grand Palace, and it's never crowded. And it's always a pleasure to get a personalized guided tour as the girls seem very happy to explain the intricate details of the various Yaks and Ginaree's who populate the structure.

The only disappointing part was when the ticket lady handed me two tickets (20 Baht each). I returned one ticket and told her that Thai people do not pay to go to a temple. Oh, she's Thai? said the cashier with a fake surprise.

No, though I hate two tier pricing, the concept of charging "visitors" for access to a cultural site, while letting Thais free access to a religious site, does not bother me. I understand that it does bother some people, but I accept that the wats represent something different to me than they do to the Thais.

But it really pisses me off is when a cunt will shamelessly try and steal money from visitors by charging them for their Thai companions. I guess it's just another example of how little respect the Thais really show for their own culture and religion.

Anticipating heavy traffic on the way back I asked the cabbie who brought us there what's the best way to get back. I didn't understand much of his explanation, but when we got back on the street, my GF flagged down a tuk-tuk. I was reluctant to get in but I figured what the hell, and a few minutes later I understood that it really was an excellent choice. While the main streets were completely gridlocked, we were zipping up and down small sois where a taxi wouldn't be able to get through, and about 20 minutes later were at a river taxi. Apparently it is a lot easier to get to the pier than it is to cross the river on the bridge. Btw, the tuk-tuk ride was 50 Baht.

The river taxi costs 3 Baht and takes about 5 minutes to get back to the Bangkok side, with the BTS station right there.

Overall, it was a very nice afternoon outing. I highly recommend a visit to Wat Arun to visitors and residents alike.

Yep, a great place. Last time I went, we took the Skytrain to Saphan Thaksin as you did, but then we just took the water taxi up to (I ThinK) Granf Palace, then took another over to Wat Arun. A lot faster and better than the taxi, cheaper as well. Udon Thani girl and I bought a fewe roof timels and put our names on them, makes merit, a blessing etc, so we gotthat going for us...which is nice. Great place, and I recomend it to all!

• 2 weeks later...
teddy said: There's more chance of you going to the Gym while you are in BKK

I think I'll go to the gym in the morning and then visist Wat Arun in the afternoon. Or maybe Wat Arun in the morning, when it's cooler, and then the gym in the afternoon. Hmm, decisions, decisions.

:idea: Then again, I might just go to Akane!

Archived