'Different' taxi drivers

khunsanuk

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drove a taxi in Boston for a number of years in cabs with partitions. They are really meant to protect the driver from physical assault, someone getting their arm around the drivers throat or holding a knife to him. Some do have a steel plate that extends to the floor but it would actually be pretty difficult to stab a driver through the seat back what with springs, layers of padding and most drivers using some sort of backrest. As far as "bulletproof"?, nobody I knew was willing to test it.

I was robbed several times in my short career, not a good feeling being that the perp was usually some hopped-up kid junkie who was shaking more than I was; just gave them the money and got the hell away, usually taking a couple of weeks off to calm down.

The last thieving scumbag tried to stab me after I gave him the money; fortunatly, I had a heavy leather jacket on and it absorbed the blow. I had a 18" length of 3/4" iron re-bar with a handgrip next to me and I let the prick have it, hard across his mouth; he fell away choking on his own teeth and I drove off straight to the garage, turned in the cab and never went back.

I had a driver once in Bangkok who was playing opera, "Tosca" in this case, on his player. I told him to take the long way and drive slow.

Archived