'Different' taxi drivers

khunsanuk

We had a woman driver during our last visit as well, she was so tiny that she could hardly see above the wheel. Drove very safely :up:

She would only pick up female passengers (I was with my family).

Another one who stood out, was the driver I met from Khon Kaen. He looked exactly like Freddie from Elm Street I think the character from the horror movie is called.

He had had a close encounter with an exploding gas cylinder and his face was almost gone :(

Cheers

Hua Nguu

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
khunsanuk said:

Anybody else encounter any different taxi drivers?

Yes, quite a few of them...one in particular that has stuck in my mind is an elderly gentleman with a severe leg problem. In the front of the car he had his crutches. He told me he used to work at the Oriental Hotel for many years, until he had an accident and damaged his leg. I have yet to meet a Thai, who hasn't studied abroad, with his level of English!

Mekong said: The cage is pretty commonplace all over China, in the last 5 years I have been to about 12 different cities in China on Business and seen them in every cab.

The only time I've been in the US was Chicago in February this year and all the taxis I was in had wire grilles between the driver and passengers. Not surprising I suppose. Also there was no leg room for the passengers so was really uncomfortable.

khunsanuk said: Then today I entered a taxi to see that the driver had only one arm! His left arm was missing completely, and he did everything with just his right arm, steering as well as shifting gears.

My Mum has virtually no use of her left arm and so drives one handed, but at least she has an automatic.

The_Munchmaster said:

The only time I've been in the US was Chicago in February this year and all the taxis I was in had wire grilles between the driver and passengers. Not surprising I suppose. Also there was no leg room for the passengers so was really uncomfortable.

They have those metal grills in a number of police cars also. Back in the day before police brutality became a hot button issue, unruly or uncooperative suspects would often be given a "Hollywood Screen Test" while riding in the back of the cars.

The officer would speed up and then slam on the brakes, causing the suspects face to smash against the screen and leave the mesh imprint on his face. ::

I'd love to see HBO do a version of Taxi Cab Confessions on people they pickup around lower Sukhumvit.

Seems to me there would be an endless supply of entertaining subjects.

For those of you who do not know, Taxi Cab Confessions is from the America Undercover documenatry series where they hide minature camera's throughout the taxi cab. The entire ride is recorded and the drivers, who know they are being filmed, do their best to get people to talk about the most private of issues.

Archived