Best Thai Beer?

cavanami

what is a Thai beer? a beer brewed in Thailand or a beer invented and branded by a genuine Thai company?

if former than you would have to add a lot more like Heineken, Tiger, Kloster, Archa, Red Horse, Cheers, Blueice and i believe recently as well San Miguel. some of those brands are of course global (Heineken), some regional (Tiger, San Miguel), but some i have never seen outside Thailand (Kloster, Archa, Red Horse).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brand is good, I like Leeuw (of course, my first beer!) but my favorite is Alfa. Did you ever try that one?

If not try it, I'm sure you like it. Next to the brewery is also a very good Austrian restaurant where you can sit and eat outside in the right time of the year.

Incidently... have heard many stories about thai beer and in particular thai whisky containing all kinds of chemicals and even in some cases, anphetmines (or however you spell it)

This is bollocks, right?

simie said:

... i tend to get a terrible headache from anything more than a few Singhas. (more so than other brands?)

Hi simie,

When I first went to Thailand I drank Singha but soon linked it to headaches and bad hangovers and have not touched it since. I normally drink Heineken but would have a Chang or two sometimes.

Kloster is Thai, by the way, despite its German name - there was a thread on this a while ago.

Khwai

I was thinking of a poll of the beers actually brewed in Thailand. At the time, I could only think of the four.

Being the true engineer that I am, I went to the local 7/11 and bought a Cheers and a Blue Ice...both were OK, at best IMO.

For me, the best Thai beer is Singha, but pricey (50% more than Chang).

2nd, is Chang. Acceptable and cheap enough.

The Thai and Leo, nothing to talk about.

When I am in Malaysia. Carlsberg is OK.

Purely my subjective analysis.

Archived