Best Thai Beer?

cavanami

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have come to the conclusion that ANY beer DRANK in Thailand is a good beer.

Maybe my comment is a bit biased, based on location rather than taste. But if you were sat in Angola (where I am presently sitting) drinking a Cuca beer (don?t ask it tastes like dog piss and thankfully as far as I am aware only available in Angola) you would drink anything given to you in the LOS with a smile on your face thinking it was the best tasting beer you ever had.

Cent said:

Wish some knowlegable German with a background in brewing would set up a decent brew pub and distributor in the LOS. This place needs a few good micro-breweries for certain. Cent

we had many microbreweries a couple of years ago in Bangkok. Paulaner, Hofbrauhaus (2 branches), Hartmannsdorfer (2 branches as well) and the Taurus Brew Pub. they are all gone! Tawandaeng as already mentioned is the only one left!

Samak,

Yeah, there used to be a decent German brewhouse (Hofbrau House? Forget the name.) on Beach Road in Pattaya a while back that wasn't bad as well. Went in there recently and it's a fucking Thai restaurant serving crap German foods and so-so beers. I think they kept the name though, 's why I went in and sat down. Another one bites the dust. But it is not just finding a place in BKK or Patters. I want one that also distributes their decent beer around the country as well like many micro-breweries in the states have been doing the past ten years or more. Many good micro-breweries in the states now. And many now you can find in your local packei store (liquor store) as well in many states around the country. But, as we all know, most Thais don't know shit about good beers. Nor good tasty inexpensive wines as well. The only Thai wine I can drink so far is called Bella Casa. It's just barely drinkable, and cheap at around 200 baht a bottle. (The imported wines here are so fucking expensive.) Most Thai wines so far have tasted like you've grabbed a bottle of red wine vinegar to drink by mistake. And Thai beer is mostly crap, a few are acceptable if cold enough, otherwise they are undrinkable as well. Chang I can drink even if lukewarm. Singha is elephant piss in a bottle as far as I am concerned. The new Cheers beer is shit. Had some at Aa Ee (a local Surin Korean BBQ type place) when it first came out and they had a promotion of three bottles for 90 baht. I couldn't finish one bottle! Horrid stuff. Leo is tolerable if cold. For some reason the Thais up here all drink Leo. Tiger is okay, a bit of flavor to it at least. Archa beer sucks as well I think. That 'beer Thai' they had out a while back reminded me of Budweiser beer. Very thin and bland. I'll drink Kloster, but I don't really like it much. I do lie the Cambo beer Angkor beer, and I do like beer Lao as well. At least they have some flavor to them. Unless you live in BKK or Pattaya it is hard to find a decent brew really. This guy Martyn of The Farang Connection does have a nice selection though he gets up from BKK. So I guess that will be my favorite drinking spot for now here in Surin! :):beer:

Cent

limbo said:

A Texan beer from Austin is also very good; Shiner bock!

Memories I had the misfortune of one of my worst ever overseas postings back in 2000, forget Iraq, Kuwait, Oman or Saudi ... Fuxin Houston TX (No Offence to any Lone Starers)

The only decent memory I have (apart from Ozzfest) was the bokfest over in Shiner TX ... come to think about it even them memories are rather hazy

ALHOLK,

Sam Adams is considered the best beer in the states. Won all sorts of awards and is available throughout the country now for quite a while. A damned good brew for a Yank beer. And many styles and flavors now as well. We have others in the Boston area that are good as well. Seattle has some good micro-breweries too. Each state (the civilized ones anyway, not redneck country) has a good brewery now-a-days. Just not available usually except in a few surrounding states.

Hey, you're a Swede right? I used to get this Norweigian beer (close enough to you) years ago in the states called 'Hansa'. Ever hear of it? I loved that stuff, but the store I was getting it in stopped selling it because I was the only one buying it from them. Had a blue and gold label with a Viking ship on it. Good stuff, especially a nice summer/warm weather beer I thought. Crisp and clean with a nice after-bite. Haven't found it since anywhere.

Cent

Limbo,

I only pick the following nit because I live in central Texas when not in Iraq and am protective of my Shiner.

Shiner beer is actually brewed in Shiner, Texas, which is about 70-80 miles SSE of Austin.

There used to be (early 90's) a wonderful MB closer to Austin, called Celis. Great beer, but poorly run as a business. Went under and then the name or something got bought by a big brewer of somesort.

When a buddy of mine got married a few years back, he had 2 full-sized kegs of Shiner at the reception. Ahhhh....

Shiner's site: http://www.shiner.com/home.html

Cent said:

OH,

"Sam Adams on the way next trip...but it likely to cost you!!!"

Ah Christ. I hope the cost doesn't include any bending over. I have a bad back you know. :: Thanks, man. We'll have some and chat after a trip to some more cultural sites around the Isaan. :beer::wave:

Cent

No bending, just set me up with the food shop woman in Buri Ram. :) Have your wife tell her not to ask me for money! That should do it! :)

Actually, I think Sam Adams is, or was the only US made beer which could be imported int Germany, as itwas the only one which could pass the "Beer Purity Laws" or something. Not sureabout now.

Many of the US made beers used to give me bad headaches, and a weird feeling in my jaw, some alergic reaction to the clearing agents. I used to Brew at home, not to difficult, the main trick is just getting the bottles or mini kegs really clean. the rest is easy.

Good German beer house on Soi 11, called "The Old German Beer House" or something like that...

Archived