Best Thai Beer?

cavanami

have to agree with you, khwaimaisabai

during my first time in thailand on a heavy evening out i drank maybe 10-15 Singha's, was not really drunken but had often headache the other day (i think it is this formaldehyde they put in). you were teased when you ordered Carlsberg or Heineken as those were foreign beers and also more expensive. alternative was only Kloster.

so i switched to Kloster to avoid headache.

then came Chang and i went for it. but Chang is pretty strong (6.5%) and drinking over 10 bottles makes me pretty drunken. so since a couple of years i limit my consumption of the real Thai beers to 2-3 and if i drink more i go for Tiger or Kloster and if there is really nothing else even Heineken.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Limbo, surprised several people saying Tiger gives them a bad head as i've never had a problem with it, but we are all different. Always been Singha thats caused me the bad head if i have more than a few. Not such a problem with Chang even though its stronger. Anyone who used to like Carlsberg in Thailand might like the draft Chang, i've had it a few times and usually not bad. Its 5% as opposed to the bottle Changs 6.4%. In fact i've heard stories that its more or less the old Carlsberg just being called Chang. Most of you will probably remember the saga about the dispute between Chang and Carlsberg, so really no great surprise if it is?!

Simie.

Simie,

Singha is even worse, don't like the taste, absolute awfull 'aftertaste' don't know about headaches, never drank enough to find out.

Like Chang but very moderate because of the high alcohol %.

My fave beer in Thailand at the moment is Asahi, an imported Japanese beer. Not widely available so mostly it boils down to Heini's.

Ummm...I aplogize in advance for taking this a little off-topic.

Being a contractor in Iraq, at a US Army Base, I am bound by General Order 1-A. Among other things, I cannot consume alchohol, at least not without a decent amount or risk of getting fired. So I have been reading this thread with some interest since, come the 28th of this month, I will be in town.

Are "regular" beers like Guinnes, Harp, Sheaf, etc. purchasable at restaurants? I plan to try some of the brands mentioned but I really like my stouts. Get I get drinkable stout in Bangkok???

I'm starting to get a little worried, here! ;)

>Being a contractor in Iraq, at a US Army Base, I am bound by >General Order 1-A. Among other things, I cannot consume >alchohol, at least not without a decent amount or risk of getting >fired. So I have been reading this thread with some interest >since, come the 28th of this month, I will be in town.

Ouch!!!

When I was in Kuwait, there was no alcohol to be found but we had heard that you could finds beers and bars in Iraq???? For sure, before this Iraq War, there were beers and bars.

Bummer ::

Load up in LOS ::

Archived