Best Thai Beer?

cavanami

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wish some knowlegable German with a background in brewing would set up a decent brew pub and distributor in the LOS. This place needs a few good micro-breweries for certain. Oh, for the ability to get some of Boston's fine Sam Adams brews here. I'd give my left nut. :o:) Luckily Martyn's fine and most excellent farang pub and restaurant here in Surin has a fine beer selection at the Farang Connection. Newcastle, Grolsch, quite a few good and tasty German beers, some Aussie brews, even an Indian brew I'd never seen before. A fine collection to work my way through, AND, he has a cheese plate for one of a great selection of cheeses and black German bread and crackers for 350 baht that I cannot finish by myself! Such a deal, and the Blue Cheese he has is very good and smells like heaven! I bring a bit back and rub it under my wife's nose while she is sleeping to pay her back for that smelly rotten fish crap she has moldering under the sink. :D Not an advertisement, a recommendation from one who lives here and has found this place to be the best around, but if in Surin and wanting some good farang brew and tasty farang victuals it is really the best (and only) place in town to get yourself off to for a drink and a chat with the local farang population. Some good whiskies and liquors available as well. Hmmmm. I wonder if Tabmule hangs out in there?

Cent

Wish some knowlegable German with a background in brewing would set up a decent brew pub and distributor in the LOS.

Your wish has come true: Tawan Daeng German Microbrewery.

"In the brewery, the best ingredients such as water, grain, malt, hops and yeast are used and the beer is brewed in a traditional style. Tawandang's brew master creates the finest draft beers which adhere strictly to historic German Purity Laws. Three kinds of draft beer - weizen beer, lager beer, and dunken beer- are brewed and controlled their qualities, aroma, flavor, by a competent and experienced brew master from Germany, the original country famous beer in the world. Tawandang German Brewery is the largest Thai microbrewery with a capacity of 700,000 liter/year."

Neo,

Thanks for the link. Now if only they would bottle/keg it and distribute it as well! Looks good and tasty, but it is a hell of a drive from Surin to get good beers. Hmmmm. Maybe a Surin franchise idea? :: Nah, not enough Germans up here to have a clientele base to survive. But thanks. Might check that out one night out with friends next I am in Bangers. :beer:

Cent

Old Hippie said:

So a six pack of Sam Adams next trip? Ever think of home brewing? I know a few expats who do!

OH,

Oh, you sweet dear boy you! Would you? They have quart size bottles (a bit smaller actually) as well rather than the 6-packs. Easier to transport a couple bottles of the 'Winter Wheat' or 'Boston Ale', even the standard would be fine.

Home brew? Thought of this as well, but I am too lazy for this I think. :o:beer: Maybe one day. I know they have kits for this that aren't that expensive.

Cent

A German style Brew Pub might work in Surin, if you had music, kept it small, a smaller version of "Tawaan Dang." Might work, and be popular with Thais. Also, Kohn Kaen or Korat might be more popular, I understand a lot of Germans there...

Sam Adams on the way next trip...but it likely to cost you!!! :)

Archived