Best Thai Beer?

cavanami

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aggie91 said:

Are "regular" beers like Guinnes, Harp, Sheaf, etc. purchasable at restaurants? I plan to try some of the brands mentioned but I really like my stouts. Get I get drinkable stout in Bangkok???

The chish and fips shop at the Offshore Bar around the corner from Soi Cowboy now has Newscastle Brown Ale for 150 baht a bottle. A few places may have Guinness, which actually used to be brewed in Thailand back in the 1980s. Oddly enough you can get more stouts and dark ale in Malaysia than in Thailand, and no idiotic "liquor sales" hours even though it's a Muslim country. Lots of imported beer available at bigger restuarants, if you are willing to pay the price. (Working in Eye-rag, it should be no problem for you. Out of my budget though ...)

p.s. Just found Thai brewed San Miguel beer in my local Seven Ereben. 30 baht a can and 5% alcohol. Tastes all right, but I don't know if the Thais will go for something that "weak".

Cheers beer appeared not long ago and has sort of a fruity taste. Wonder what they've added. Big push for the stuff right now, though I'm not excited by it.

When I do buy Singha, I look for the old traditional Singha in the amber bottle, not the newer variety. That's the "real" Singha -- the only kind we got in the 1970s.

Cav,

If I were in Baghdad, i might be able to work something out. Technically I -can- work it out here (about 70 miles SE of Baghdad), its just not worth the risk.

I've never been one to crave beer or drink copious amounts of it. For me it will be more like a novelty. I have had 2 beers in the last 10 months. I'll just have to watch my intake.

Limbo,

Harp is actually an Irish lager.

The Sheaf stout I have had is, I think, Australian. It was so thick and dark it reminded me of coffee. I had a clear glass with about 3" of Sheaf in it and when I held it up to a lightbulb I could only get the barest hint of light on the other side! Now that's beer!!

Aggie91 said:

... Harp....

Hi aggie,

Years ago I used to be a regular Harp drinker - and it was brewed in the town where I was living. For those who don't know, it is a brand of lager, owned by Guiness so it is widely available in Ireland. It is very weak. The one and only time I have been stopped for a breath test I had got through four or five pints of the stuff but was still within the limit!!!

Back on topic, I never saw it in Bangkok - and I have never heard of Sheaf.

Khwai

Kwai,

Though this likely borders on "More Than You Wanted To Know", here's some info about Sheaf Stout:

A link to the nutrition info about Fosters Group beers, of which Sheaf appears to be part, but I can't find any other info on their site about it:

http://www.fosters.com.au/enjoy/beer/beer_nutrition.htm

A Link to general info about and links to a number of different breweries:

http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/breweries.html

Apparently Fosters itself is part of Carlton & United Breweries.

rickfarang said:

Of those listed, I prefer Thai, but Cheers Beer, a relatively recent arrival seems rather drinkable, and when available, its my first choice.

Well thats more confirmation of your questionable taste. :D

I couldnt finish the 2nd bottle, a horrible mettalic aftertaste bleuuuchh. The first bottle was just bland.

Ive found Singha is too sweet, Chang just to hangover friendly and body insensitive,

So Leo for me.

limbo said:

Mac,

What do you mean by the original Singha in an amber bottle?

I'm confused here.

There are 2 varieties of Singha available - at least in the big bottles, I think they have the small bottles as well. I dont remember seeing cans though.

The current Singha is a white lable and the "old" version called Singha 90 (?) has a brownish / amber lable.

Archived