Critical Windows Patch

enigma

lazyphil said:

all ok here.....with AVG, Spybot, Ad Adawre, Spywareblaster, Microsoft Beta anti spyware all updated and run almost daily is my PC ok, are there more freebies I can install to help security that wont conflict with the above?

You should go in and turn off any services that make you vulnerable. www.tweakhound.com has a great tutorial on how to do this. I recommend the whole site, for example if you are going to install XP, but you can find out how to shut off services and do other things to make your computer safer in their saftey for XP tutorial:

http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/security/page_1.htm

I have knowlegeable friends that say a properly secured computer doesn't even need a firewall, just as long as you control all ports to and from the machine. That's probably above what you and I could do, but at least we can do the Tweakhound stuff (there are other sites out there with this info, do a search on XP services and you should find some).

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>"How to tighten security on explorer? I use Mozilla mainly, but sometimes switch... BTW, since switching to Mozilla, "critical" spyware items are way down!"

Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Security tab (Internet icon highlighted) -> Custom Level -> Reset custom settings choose "high" from the drop down menu -> click reset -> OK

You can choose the different levels of security, click reset then check what the changes do by scrolling through the list. You can easily reset it to what level you want. You can also select individual items to tighten security on.

Problem is that by setting IE security to high will disable functions that you may want like ActiveX or you'll get prompts when you visit certain pages.

I hardly ever start up IE, only when a page or site doesn't seem to work in Firefox. IE has loads of functions many are meant for use in corporate environments, intranets. I can't see any reason for an average home user to use it as their main browser. Maybe someone can explain what they find in IE that makes it preferable to Mozilla/Firefox. Not a challenge, just curious.

Here's something else, part of a proactive approach (It says for IT professional but don't let that scare you if you're not a geek):

"Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer V1.2.1

MBSA 1.2.1 is the free, best practices vulnerability assessment tool for the Microsoft platform. Designed for the IT professional, the tool helps with the assessment phase of an overall security management strategy. MBSA Version 1.2.1 includes a graphical and command line interface that can perform local or remote scans of Windows systems."

MS Baseline Security Analyzer

I know we're technically not supposed to talk about stuff like this here, but I was wondering if it is still possible to get the windows updates if you're running a bootleg copy of XP.

With my newest computer I really wanted to go legit, but it seems all the laptops being sold in BKK these days are being packed with Linux. Those that have XP are the highest end ones but still don't have office. To get Xp and office legit is at least an extra 10,000 baht.

Whatever, enough explaining. So can I get the update or not?

>>>i tried firefox but removed it, just prefered IE

I admit that when I first tried Firefox I didn't care for it but KS kept pushing it so hard that out of sympathy for him and his crusade I gave it a longer test drive and really starting liking it. To be fair you need to use it for awhile. Tabbed browsing got me hooked at first but the Firefox extensions I've downloaded since has added to my browsing expierence.

Suzi,

as of noe you'll get the security updates if you have a legit XP or not.

For the other updates there are chaets, or other places where you can download the updates as a complete package.

Winboard and Winfuture are two sources I know. Much more comfortable to get and install these update packs.

With the instructions for the download, there are two options:

"Run" or "Save ... for later use." When downloaded under the "Run" option, it's stored in the temporary internet files folder.

If that's the case, would it not be deleted when doing maintenance such as Disc Cleanup under System Tools? So is it best to save it? As I've said before, I hardly know nuthin about computers!

:dunno:

Archived