Critical Windows Patch

enigma

A good idea to install this. To the best of my knowledge, viewing images had always been considered safe because they can't carry a code payload. This exploit seems to change that theory. So this is a particularly important patch.

SEATTLE (AP) - Microsoft released a software patch for its Windows operating system Thursday to fix a flaw that has spawned attempts to take control of Internet-connected computers.

The flaw is in an element of Windows that is used to view images. If a user is tricked into viewing an image, such as on a malicious Web site or within an e-mail attachment, that person's computer could be attacked.

Microsoft confirmed last week that some people were trying to take advantage of it. On Thursday, the company said outbreaks appeared to be limited.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms06-001.mspx

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

all ok here.....with AVG, Spybot, Ad Adawre, Spywareblaster, Microsoft Beta anti spyware all updated and run almost daily is my PC ok, are there more freebies I can install to help security that wont conflict with the above?

Try a proactive approach. Use a router/hardware firewall. Turn off preview pane and html in your email program. Use Firefox or tighten security on IE. Then you rarely need to bother with all those other utilities including anti-virus.

You did leave a great utility off you list though, HijackThis.

keekwai said:

Try a proactive approach. Use a router/hardware firewall. Turn off preview pane and html in your email program. Use Firefox or tighten security on IE. Then you rarely need to bother with all those other utilities including anti-virus.

You did leave a great utility off you list though, HijackThis.

How to tighten security on explorer? I use Mozilla mainly, but sometimes switch... BTW, since switching to Mozilla, "critical" spyware items are way down!

Archived