Software

potica69

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a violation of intellectual property laws and copy write laws, and is subject to confiscation...the inspector let my movies go back in september, as I played dumb (they hadthe labels burned on them, looked real, the packaging was the plastic /cellophane bag, but she did however ask about soft ware, and said that would be taken. I didn't have any, so no ideas, but I would suspect they'd just take it...but, if they are searching, and find it, and it looks like you were trying to "smuggle" it in, and denied having it...could be trouble...

For movies, I suggest buying a cd "book" and sticking them in there, if they ask, say you brought them with you from home...

I think every U.S. resident should read this pamphlet at least once before going abroad. It tells you what kind of counterfeits are ok to bring into the country and under what circumstances it is acceptable. If I read it correctly , it makes limited allowances for pirated material if it is for personal use, but I'm not a lawyer, so have a look at the pamphlet yourself then decide before you try to bring something back.

The pamphlet is titled: "Know Before You Go - Regulations for U.S. Residents"

The file can be found on this web site:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/

What the customs woman told me was "...the movies you have are PROBABLY bootlegs,and that is a violation of (forget the term she used copywrite maybe?) But you don't have enough to do any damage, so I'll let you keep them, but keep in mind you are Probably buying pirated copies. Do you have ANY SOFTWARE? SOFTWARE is subject to confiscation if not a licensed copy..." So she said...

Now, maybe some of the software guys/ copywrite experts (I seem to recall there is an Itellecual property lawyer here) can maybe tell us, what are the laws in terms of making a "Backup" copy of software you leagally purchased...? AND carrying it with you instead of the original?

Actually, she was cool, and very professional, the other guy was a total stone dick...I reported him for his behavior! Made the full formal written complaint, got interviewed by the department head for SFO...the guy was just out of line...posted about it at the time...

Archived