Sin Sot, when is 1,000,000 baht too much?

steffi

When guys don't know how to get back to a woman they ALWAYS use the term.

---------------------------------------

still ranting about this old post?

------------------

I'm so disappointed with the quality of your discussions lately.

--------------------

thanks for taking an interest in them. Nothing worse than indifference.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I asked for my gf's opinion and she said that sinsot is only paid if the girl is a virgin and then she memoaned the fact that I would not have to pay for her sinsot if we get married......

I know people have to accept thai culture but 1,000,000 is way too much and remember in western culture the woman's father pays a dowry to the husband..... our culture is just as important.

just my 2 cents

"...in western culture the woman's father pays a dowry to the husband."

No, as we've gone over before, THAT is called "bride price," not "dowry." Pay attention.

These definitions are more along hindu lines but they also I think can stand in this context....

"...in western culture the woman's father pays a dowry to the husband."

No, as we've gone over before, THAT is called "bride price," not "dowry." Pay attention.

Dowry as we all know is paid in cash or kind by the bride's family to the groom' s family alongwith the giving away of the bride. A reason for the origin of dowry could perhaps be that

the groom and his family had to take up the 'onerous' responsibility of supporting the bride

for the rest of her life.

Bride-price on the other hand involves the receipt of resents, in cash or kind to the bride's family in return for giving away of the bride. Hence bride-price has the character of an

exchange.

The dowry is given as compensation to the groom's parents for the amount they have spent in educating and upbringing their son. These explanations may seem logical in the present

day context, but they cannot explain how this practice originated. A search for the origins of dowry would have to move backwards into antiquity. This fits in more with the western interpretation of dowry which was once prevelent in the UK especially amongst the upper classes, remember that women at one time had no rights to own property.

Anyway enough rambling on my part

Regards,

Hal

IMO custom or not, sin sot should be a personal decision decided between the man and his future bride. Personally I think that 1mm bt is way too much.

I would think that as with anything it is a negotiable amount nothing set in stone.

If I was to marry a Thai woman and her parents were okay financially I would cut a deal with them that I would pay the sin sot for appearances sake with the idea that the money is returned to me or goes towards the expenses of the wedding. If I marry a thai whose family is poor as dirt then I would work a deal that the wife and I would provde them with a monthly stipend, no way would I give them a lump sum.

If the woman was previously married, then there would be no sin sot except for public appearance and the money wold definitely be returned to me.

I understand that you are marrying into a culture but so is the woman and ther has to be some sort of compromise.

I'M the one who needs to pay attention. That IS a dowry paid to the husband, what is here in Thailand is bride price. It all gets so confusing.

And of course, best of all is when the man pays the Bar Fine. smile.gif

Archived