HELP 900kb PIC's how to re-size for board 150kb

Alfmaz

You would have received some software with the camera such as photoimpression or camedia which you use to resize/edit the picture. You also need to reduce the colour depth.

The image as it comes out of the camera contains loads of information and detail is good when the image is viewed close up or if the picture is taken in low light and needs enhancing but is unnecessary just for a web page. So you would load the image into the app, adjust brightness/gamma/contrast, resize, then save with a reduced colour depth..

et voila, a much smaller and more useful file.

Easier than that, load into paint, adjust the size, and save. Automatically saves jpegs with a lower colour depth.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You also need to reduce the colour depth

Care to explain why? I accept you can reduce the file size by reducing the colour information contained within it, but in doing so you would also reduce the visual appeal of the image by an unacceptable amount. Example a 500 x 500 colour image with rich colour content had a file size of 41.7 kb if all the colour is taken out (reduced to B&W) the file size droped to 33.4 kb but the visual impact was destroyed. The same picture with the colour content intact, but the overall size reduced to 425 x 425 had a file size of 34.6 kb which is a very similar saving but now the visual impact is retained.

To reduce file size for sending a pic via email or publishing to the web, the best way is to reduce the overall size to a useable level ie 600 x 400 then use the 'optimise' function in photoshop or similar to reduce it furthur. IMO the maximum size for a pic to be displayed on the web should not be bigger than around 800 x 550 or you will force many people to need to scroll their screen to view it, not recomended. Believe it or not you can make a useful saving on a portrait by applying an 'artistic' soft focus (blur) the above pic reduced from 41.7 to 37.5 kb by nothing more than applying a soft focus.

That's what I like about iPhoto. You can request either the file size or the image size. I usually nominate 500 x 375 for the image size. If the file size comes out over 150 kb I simply go to the file size option and request the target size of 150 kb and it will reduce the image size accordingly. Don't get much simpler than that.

Thanks all for your advice, I went looking on my computer last night and found I had a program called Comp-U -Pics and it works great at converting photos to 150 KB with a slider to go greater or minus, it is funny I can edit videos on computer using all the big programs but not that good with photos, My next thing is uploading them, let you know if I have problems :bow: :bow:

2 sizes associated with digital pics.

1. size on screen, large pics that do not fit on screen vs thumb nails + all in between.

2. file size that is associated with .jpg compression. when saving as a .jpg you should get a 'compression dialogue screen'

resize to a 'monitor size' = 800x 600 max so those on a 15" screen can easily view ..

a 3 ( or 2 ) meg pic from your camera is much larger than screen size.

800x600 image = .48 mega pixel = 800 pixels x 600 pixels

save as .jpg & your software should offer compression options to achieve your final file size goal.

Archived