Death threath

thalenoi

Violence has been a hot topic over the last few weeks.

Until it happens to you.

The scene:

For over 4 years we rent a house in a group of 10.

The two next to ours are unoccupied, 5 more are in a back alley, the last two were bought two years ago by a chinese guy who transformed them into a 12 room guest house, a couple of thais are running the place.

Our relationship with that thai couple was normal, until last friday that is.

They rarely have any guests, but over New Year there were 3 farangs staying there. Last friday night there was some noise and the gf went to close the balcony door because she could not sleep due to the noise.

Saturday morning at 7 am we went bicycling, and when we left the compound the gf expressed her disatisfaction on previous night noise by shouting "AAAAAAH" several times.

That should have ended the sleep status of all occupants of the place.

She explained she did an imitation of a lady who stayed at the guest house as a friend of the couple who seemed to want some "action" the previous night.

Fair enough for me, I would sometimes react in similar ways.

When we returned from our excursion some questions were asked as to my gf's behaviour. I did not pay any attention until the man next door found he needed to add his opinion.

On the increasing tones of voices it was clear things were turning sour. I went out to see what was going on and saw the thai couple, their son, and with the lady and probably some other lady staying with one of the farangs approaching our house.

At some point the thai man seemed to the main shouter in the group. My gf turnrd her attention to him, replying to his shouting. That man became menacing and approached my gf to one meter, pointing his finger, his wife tearing his T-shirt to keep him from attacking my gf. Now did the man intended to beat my gf? Because she expressed her disatisfaction in this way?

I tried to tear the gf in the house and to interpose myself in this situation. I know enough thai to understand the gf saying" I will not let this happen, give me a stick or I come back with a knife"

I then forced her into the house and asked what was going on.

"The man says he will kill us both" was her reply.

No way I could calm her down during the day.

At 8 pm I went outside to our garbage bin to see the man and his son walking around our house and murmuring words between his teeth. I asked the gf what he was saying, again "I will both of them" Now that's very nice...

Checking the surroundings from my balcony that night the man was still walking around and I saw a bottle of broken Chang beer on the concrete of the house next to ours.

That man must turned crazy I thought.

She called the police to keep an eye at our place that night, but I don't see what that could bring.

The gf said she could not stay a single day here with such a fool around. I had planned a trip for this monday anyway, and sunday morning we left the place.

A call to a friend nearby our place revealed us the guy is still vociferating to kill us, that friend met the man's wife.

I am around Udon Thani right now, looking to rent a house here. Staying any day/night over there in Chumpon will be problematic with this lunatic around.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nasty!

I would suggest you document everything you can; when and what time the police were notified, notes as to what time the argument, what was said, actions of the man, etc.

If need be, make an official police report.

If you know some person that this man looks up to/respects that might be able to have a chat with him to calm him down?

Good luck!!!

Jesus H... that sounds awful. I guess this must be making you real nervous... I know I would be.

As Cavanami said, is there not some kind of higher person in the area? The equivalent of a village head or something?

I would do anything possible to defuse this situation...I hate to say it but even buying the guy a bottle of whisky and shaking his hand, 'mano el mano' maybe? It sucks to consider this, especially as you have clearly done nothing wrong, but jeez... a maniac Thai vowing to kill you both> Fuck that, even if I had to resort to sucking up a little, I would. Not worth the consequences of toughing it out, eh?

The Chinese guy still owns the place, but the Thais are managers, right? What about locating the Chinese guy, tell him what has happened, then invite the Thai and the Chinese man to sit down with a whisky and shake on it?

I had a little grief with a Thai guy last year. In my home country, under the same circumstances, I wouldn?t have batted an eyelid but over here, well...you know. TIT. Made me nervous as hell for a couple days. That?s the most frustrating part of it - you can?t tell them to piss off and front it out, as the end result would be dire.

Unlucky mate. Hope it works out, and be carefull!

come on, don't be a wussy... you have the ball in your court. Goto the police and file a report, get everything that has happend on paper along with some witnesses, then wait til the next time he is around, leave your door open, wait for him to enter, then crash his skull with a baseball bat or a blunt object. It will be a clear cut case of self defense and you had no choice. Call the Embassy right away and say nothing until a lawyer can speak with you. That's how i'd handle it.

Thinking about it....it is actually a very serious situation. Again, referring to fellang land; if a local idiot made similar threats you probably wouldn?t pay too much attention, and dismiss him as a drunk, loudmouth etc. But from my understanding of the whole face thing, most Thai's who carry out a threat regardless of severity loose face if they don?t carry it out. True? Or not?

Thalanoi, think very hard about this dude.... I personally would be very concerned if I had a crazy Thai fella issuing threats of murder. By the same token, it would be a shame to leave an area you have lived for 4 years just because of one idiot.

Dumb question possibly...... PooYai means what exactly? I?m assuming this means like, village head, elder respected, even mafia or something?

Archived