Covering your tracks...

Old Hippie

I recall some posts about this before, but it bears repeating. I know to deleate cookies, and the history, but how to really cover my tracks for any nosey person looking into my computer, to see whweere I have been? I saw my outlook express folder, which I never open, it it had all linds of incriminating stuff in it... also, how to clear out the googgle search window associated with Mozzilla, that keeps a record of the nasty places I've been aswell... Thanks...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, I think it's Tools | Clear Private Data to clear stuff now, or Tools | Options | Privacy | Settings to set Firefox to clear things automatically whenever you close the browser.

To clear the Google search history, right-click in the Google search box and select Clear Search History.

If you really want to erase *all* traces on your computer I would recommend a software like Steganos Internet Anonym 2006. (you will find it at emule et al.)

You will be surprised to see at how many places your personal data will be stored on your computer.

:o

For Firefox there is a special extension available called x (paranoia) mod. It adds a button to Firefox, which will delete all traces with a single click.

Anyway I would recommend to browse through the hundreds of extensions available for Firefox. Many of them are extremely helpful. Extensions are the main reason why I use Firefox and not Opera.

Easiest way to go there: Extras/Extensions/Download Extension (or something like this, I run the Browser in German).

:up:

enigma,

can well be tools. I run the german version and sometimes I got something wrong when translating the menues to english (in this case because of not translating)

kamui,

agree witht he reasons why to prefer firefox over opera. However, since opera is free, too, I recommend it for the less seasoned computer user.

Btw, I use Mozbackup (extra prog, no extension) for both Firefox and Thunderbird. Had to restore already, and didn't loose a single mail or bookmark. Only downside is that it wont run automatic.

OK, I just cleanedout the record in the Mozilla search browser...and the URL line...trouble is, now the URL line doesn't store or remember any thing I type in it...which I want it to do! YIKES! Now what! ? OBviosuly a setting...but what? Damn I hate this shit, Som Nom Na, I know I know...

Archived