New York

sayjann

need help from anyone living in the Locale of NYC.

thinking of taking the GF to NYC around mid November/mid December for a bit of Xmas shopping.

i know the time of Year is a bad one but i cannot believe the prices of Hotel rooms.

$250 a Night and that is a bit much for me .

but what i found strange was that the nearer you stay to Xmas then the cheaper the Room......... ::

anyone know of any good deals or have contacts which might help me out with a good deal?.

i know i'm pushing my luck but would rather stay on Manhatten Island and fairly central.

any help and info is greatly appreciated.............. :beer:

oops............sorry.

thought i was posting this in Accommodation.......

Mods feel free to move.............

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking of the same for Oct.

A few questions. We will fly into NY for a few days and then fly to canada and back to the US to fly the return flight to BKK.

Do we need a multiple entry visa or should a single entry do it. I know for Canada you dont need a multiple entry if you are going to the states.

Also any recommendations on a good area to stay. Easy access to trains and not too dear would be great.

Guest lazyphil

if you were not such a nobby no mates you be able to sponge a sofa/bed off someone on the sanuk network for global excursions :neener::grinyes: ....thats what cheap charlies like myself do!

For cheaper room rates, you might try hotwire or priceline. If you have questions or need help to determine where to start bidding or how to employ a bidding strategy (recommended)for priceline, go to betterbidding.com. You have to be sure of your dates (no cancellations or changes) and you won't know the htoel name until after you have bid (priceline) or accepted the offered price (Hotwire).

I have stayed in NYC several times in the last few years and always paid a rate of $100 or less for a 4 star hotels but I never stay in the city. Hotels outside of NYC will be newer, the rooms are bigger generally with more amenities. I have been very happy with the rooms and the rates.

Secaucus NJ is only 15-20 minutes away by bus during non-peak hours and usually no more than 30-45 minutes during peak time. Newark is about a 30 minute train ride away from NYC. Might try those or check out the maps on priceline for some other cities in the area. Good luck.

Visiting New York City and staying in New Jersey is a stupid idea. It's like going to Bkk and staying in Minburi. And getting from JFK to New Jersey, by cab, will cost more than $100, each way.

Sublets are generally illegal and I wouldn't recommed going that way, for a few days.

I typed "cheap hotels in New York City", on Yahoo, and came up with dozens of small hotels, around $100. Any hotel in Manhattan, south of 96 Street, is a good location.

The Hotel Edison, West Side YMCA, Skyline and other hotels all have tourists coming and going. There are hundreds of small hotels, in Manhattan, and you should find one with a little effort.

Or stay at an airport hotel near JFK, Queens. At least you would be in New York City.

no problem for me but the GF is a Lady and expects her luxuries......... :banghead:

thanks for the input Guys but not interested in subletting or bidding for a room,all i want is a Hotel room for 3/4 Nights at a reasonable rate.

and don't see the point of staying near the Airports,waste half the Day getting into Town.

i have no problems taking the Subway/Taxi's but the GF has reservations about things she has read on the Web.......violence/pickpockets and scamming etc so is hesitant to use these modes of transport.

i just can't believe the prices.........i thought London was a rip off.

sayjann - seriously, look at the listings on Craigslist. You will find nice apartments, in good locations, with full kitchens, on very short notice, at a fraction of what you'd pay at a hotel, and pay no taxes. They are abundant, the "subletting laws" notwithstanding (um, prostitution is illegal in Thailand - you follow me?).

There are constantly people who leave NYC for holiday or business, and sublet their place for two days, five days, ten days, a year - you name it. Go to the URL I gave you previously and "refresh" the page, and you'll see that people are constantly posting sublets, all day, every day.

Please, I realize you don't know me from Adam, but trust me on this one. I have lived in numerous NYC neighborhoods using this method, and have responded to a Craigslist post at 4pm and moved-in at 6pm, on a routine basis, over and over. Honestly.

Really and seriously, you'd be a fool not to check out the Craigslist ads. The website is among the most-frequented sites on the web, and for damn good reason. It works.

And any hotel you get in Manhattan for less than $120 (before tax) is a dive. Trust me on this, man. I've been doin' it for fuckin' years.

Archived