New York

sayjann

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NYC hotel rates are going to be high for a while, even for shit spots. Over the last 4 years the city has lost 15k-20k rooms due to construction such as condo conversions. Avoid coming into town during any major sporting event, fashion show, convention or UN meeting.

There are still small boutiqish type hotels in the city with decent rates but they are usually booked solid and they don't offer the service or amentites of larger ones.

You will be hard pressed to find anything decent under $200+ tax per night. I suggest u book far enough in advance, use coupons discounts or package deals. Thurs thru Sun will get u your best rates.

I would even suggest that you stay in Jersey City which is a 5min -10minute PATH train or ferry ride away(they have a Hyatt, Marriott, Doubletree). Also Jersey City is 15min from Newark airport.

whosyourdaddy said:

I was looking at the wellington hotel in midtown. Seems to be the best value in the area. 269$ per room for the nights we want it.. Just dont want to book a cheap hotel and end up in the wrong neighbourhood

This is a 2 star property@ best aimed for the photo taking tourist. The only advantage is the location near Times Square and Central Parkand acess to the subways. I am sure u can do better even if u have to paid a little more. There really are no "bad" neighborhoods in Manhattan anymore as lng as u stay below 125th and avoid some lower East side neighborhoods, were out of towners never venture anyway.

sayjann said:

found a Hotel on W 47TH for $732 for 4 Nights.

very central for my needs i think.

and another one on W 77TH for $504 for 4 Nights.

this one cheaper and the only disadvantage is we would have to share a Bathroom,but that's not really a problem for me.

as you are a New Yorker do you think W 77TH is too far North to stay?.

as i said before my GF is a little worried about the Subway and what are the Taxi fares like?.

how long would it take to travel by Taxi fron W 77TH to say,the Empire State Building on a typical Day and what sort of Fare?.

15 Years since i was in NY and i imagine things have changed so much.

also what are the chances of maybe 'hiring' a Taxi (off Meter) for the Day?.

any idea of what it might cost?

thanks for any help............. :beer:

The subway is the cheapest and quickest way to get around the city $2. W 77th to the Empire building is about $15.

No need to hire a taxi for a day and I never heard of anyone doing so, doesn't make much sense. If u really feel the need to hire a car then get a livery car. I use them to get back and forth to the airport about $45 each way.

she is certainly in the UK but coming from the Phillipines still has no concept of how cold it will be.

she moans when it is just above freezing here,so i look forward to seeing her reaction.........

but then again i have no idea of what that sort of Temperature is like........ :dunno:

at least we will be supplied with all the warm clothing and that should be fun seeing her looking like the Michelin Man..... :grinyes:

an expensive trip at around £600 each for 3 Days but she deserves a little treat at Christmas time after what has happened to her at that time of Year in the past.

she has also set her heart on sitting in the driving seat of a sled and controlling the Huskies and doing the old 'Mush Mush' bit......

have to pay extra but just to see her face will make me a happy Man............ :tophat:

and totally off topic to my opening post,i have also treated my 67 Year Old Mum to her dream of a lifetime.

she is going wing-walking on a WW1 Bi-Plane,kudos to her for having the guts to do that............:worship:

sayjann-

Think carefully before taking one of those "Magic of Lapland" or "Magic of Christmas" trips to Finland. I took my sister and her two children several years ago and they were very disappointed. The reindeer and huskie rides last about 15 minutes. If it storms (and that's not exactly unusual in Lapland in December), there ain't no outdoor activities of any sort. It's so bitterly cold that only the hardiest types can stay outdoors for more than a few minutes at a time. There's a big risk for frost bite, even if you are dressed properly. Worst of all, because it's on the Artic Circle, it's dark 23 hours a day. The indoor activities with Santa and his elves were cheesy and amateurish beyond belief. My sister's kids just cried all the time and wanted to go home.

In fairness, these trips are very popular with people from warm countries who have never experienced heavy winter conditions and don't have a fixed notion of how Christmas should be celebrated. But the darkness does tend to be downer for just about everyone.

:devil:

sayjann-

Think carefully before taking one of those "Magic of Lapland" or "Magic of Christmas" trips to Finland. I took my sister and her two children several years ago and they were very disappointed. The reindeer and huskie rides last about 15 minutes. If it storms (and that's not exactly unusual in Lapland in December), there ain't no outdoor activities of any sort. It's so bitterly cold that only the hardiest types can stay outdoors for more than a few minutes at a time. There's a big risk for frost bite, even if you are dressed properly. Worst of all, because it's on the Artic Circle, it's dark 23 hours a day. The indoor activities with Santa and his elves were cheesy and amateurish beyond belief. My sister's kids just cried all the time and wanted to go home.

In fairness, these trips are very popular with people from warm countries who have never experienced heavy winter conditions and don't have a fixed notion of how Christmas should be celebrated. But the darkness does tend to be downer for just about everyone.

sayjann-

The weather has been cold in the last few days...22 degrees is F as opposed to C. Taxis are expensive but for two people and short distance, it might be ok as a subway ride is $2 a person for an unlimited distance anywhere in the system.

I managed to dig up an article from the NY Times newspaper that suggests the following hotels:

Gershwin Hotel, 7 East 27th street, www.gershwinhotel.com, from $119. Hotel-cum-hostel popular with young Europeans.

Hotel QT, 125 West 45 Street, www.hotelqt.com, From $125. A cheap chic hotel by Andre Balazs.

Hudson Hotel, 356 West 58 street, www.hudsonhotel.com. From $199. A former YWCA redesigned by Philippe Starck.

The Time, 224 West 49th Street, www.thetimeny.com. From $189. Another hip, high-concept hotel in Times Square.

Excelsior Hotel, 45 West 81 Street, www.excelsiorhotelny.com. From $229. Cozy Upper West Side elegance, steps from Central Park.

You need to budget an additional 13.625 oercent in taxes plus $3.50 a night.

By the way, the most expensive restaurant in NYC is MASA which costs $350 a person not including drinks, taxes and tips.

Good luck...

Archived