New York

sayjann

no worries,i trust you and welcome your input.

i understand you using the method over the Years but as for me i'm not too sure.

if i'm going to pay out a few Bucks then i would rather have the 'safety' of a recognised Hotel.

but as i said thanks for your help........ :beer:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'The Hotel Edison, West Side YMCA, Skyline and other hotels all have tourists coming and going. There are hundreds of small hotels, in Manhattan, and you should find one with a little effort'

had a look at the Hotel Edison Website and i found a link which was very interesting.

found some Hotels which were around $100 a Night and that is acceptable to me,no different to the UK really.

Central Hotels and look OK.

but you never know until you get there.

i'm not the sort of person who wants a 5* place with spas,salons and shops selling tack.

i just need a bed for a few Hours.

if i'm going to spend Money getting to NYC then i intend to be out and about sightseeing as many Hours as possible (and i suppose the GF will be spending my Money shopping).......:cussing:

do i worry about Roaches?...........not really.

spent time in NYC before and shared a room with the little buggers.

seen worse in LOS sometimes,espiecally went i went upcountry.........some nasty looking critters crawling around.

Well, if you insist, try this place:

http://www.cosmohotel.com/info/index.html

$145 plus tax. I've stayed there. Small rooms, so it's not the kind of room you'll want to lounge around in, but who wants to do that, anyway? Recently remodeled, so it's not a dump. Impeccably clean. Trendy neighborhood, safe. Right next to an express subway stop that will get you to Times Square in 5 minutes.

fyi...I live in NYC. NY hotels are very expensive and the ones that are under $150 are probably dives. yes, taxes on room are high so as someone mentioned earlier the $200 room is more like $250! Craiglist might be a good idea but I have no experience with it. People with apts would like to rent it out for a short time while they are on vacation or out-of-town to get a little income to offset their high rents.

yes, hotels in the suburbs are cheaper but you wont have the living in NYC experience. too bad that I cant let you use my place or my friend with the townhouse. sorry our gfs wont permit that! Sorry that I could not be of more help.

found a Hotel on W 47TH for $732 for 4 Nights.

very central for my needs i think.

and another one on W 77TH for $504 for 4 Nights.

this one cheaper and the only disadvantage is we would have to share a Bathroom,but that's not really a problem for me.

as you are a New Yorker do you think W 77TH is too far North to stay?.

as i said before my GF is a little worried about the Subway and what are the Taxi fares like?.

how long would it take to travel by Taxi fron W 77TH to say,the Empire State Building on a typical Day and what sort of Fare?.

15 Years since i was in NY and i imagine things have changed so much.

also what are the chances of maybe 'hiring' a Taxi (off Meter) for the Day?.

any idea of what it might cost?

thanks for any help............. :beer:

thanks for all the help and advice Guys.......... :up:

looks like the trip is a no-go as the GF saw a TV Programme about Lapland.

she was enthralled about meeting Santa Claus and going on sleigh rides being pulled by Reindeer and Huskies.

she has now set her mind on going for 3 Days after trawling the Internet and seeing what is available.

i looked at the Weather and showed her it was -22 at Midday Yesterday and she said no problem..........

555.........if we do go i look forward to see her shivering away and moaning about how cold it is.......... :chili:

but there is the oppurtunity for me to toboggon down a 1.2 KM course and that appeals to me........... :snowcool:

probably kill myself,but hey you only live once......... :snowlaugh

Archived