New York

sayjann

i have no illusions what the Weather and local conditions will be like.

and i also know that what is advertised is put across in a rosy way but try and tell that to the GF who has set her mind on the trip.........

and saying that a Friend of took his 2 Kids last Year and they had a ball,i suppose it depends on the Day as to how good a time you have.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By the way, the most expensive restaurant in NYC is MASA which costs $350 a person not including drinks, taxes and tips.

No way do I believe that the most expensive restaurant in New York is only $350 per person.

TypicalAnonym said:
By the way, the most expensive restaurant in NYC is MASA which costs $350 a person not including drinks, taxes and tips.

No way do I believe that the most expensive restaurant in New York is only $350 per person.

There are more expensive places to eat in Manhattan (such as private dining rooms in private clubs) but generally not open to the masses. There are some really exclusive Japanese spots that you can't get into unless your a Japanese businessman(sound familiar?).

MASA is probably the most expensive from a commercial view. Actually I would call it the most expensive Prix fixe in NYC. Go to a couple of high end French spots throw in a couple of bottles of French wine and u will easily surpass a dinner @ MASA's. The gimmick @ MASA is that it is omakase and it only has about 30seats. The menu is prixe fixe and fluctuates ($300-$600) based on whatever they decide to serve. I have went there a couple of times for business dinners. Your really paying for the the fact that the meal is 3hrs with limited servings for a small group in the expensive Time Warner building. You go to watch the chef and feel like a foodie snob. Some people get really stupid about the place thinking that it is the best sushi around because they pay so fucking much for it. It is okay, top nothch fresh ingredients, a nice presentation by the chef and pretty intimate, doubt if I would ever spend my own dough on lunch or dinner. It is truly an expense acct kind of place. Actually all of the restaurants in the Time Warner building are expense acct only type of spots. The best deal is having drinks @ the bar/lounge in the Mandarin Oriental(same building). One of the best views in NYC while having cocktails.

sayjann said:$250 a Night and that is a bit much for me .

but what i found strange was that the nearer you stay to Xmas then the cheaper the Room......... ::

NYC is a "business" city. Aside from summer tourists, the hotels' occupants are those on expense accounts doing biz, attending conferences, conventions, etc. Companies start slowing down on their travel during November; few conferences or conventions are booked anywhere in December, biz people just don't travel in the same numbers in December. That's the reason.

One thing to keep in mind: hotel rates are usually HIGHER on the weekends (Fri. and Sat. nights). Guess it's peeps from the farms coming into the Big Apple for some nightlife? But that isn't unusual in other cities, either. Higher rates on the weekends.

I don't envy you shelling out 2-4000 dollars for an Xmas shopping trip to NYC. You know how many "short times" that is?

(What's funny is that Americans go to London to do their Xmas shopping and the day after at Harrods')

Hugh (mak)

NYC is a "business" city and as such business people fly in on Sunday and leave on Friday. Consequently, top hotels offer special weekend rates to help fill the vacancies left by business travellers. So the rates at top hotels which serve business clients are cheaper on the weekend than weeknights.

Hugh_Hoy said:

Interesting. I checked hotels.com and found that (consistently) Saturday night rates were the highest for 5 moderate and upper-end properties. Sunday nights were consistently the "cheapest" nights for a room.

Hugh

Don't know what ur looking @ or when but for NYC hotels usually the highest rates are Sun-WED and Thurs-Sat are the lowest rates. The exceptions would be those hotels located around the prime tourist area of Times Square and the currently the Chelsea area which is a big party spot for the bridge, tunnel and weekenders. Keep in mind there are certain hotels that will always have the same rate regardless of the the day of the week

I was looking at "hotels.com" as noted above...and within a mile of Times Square...and for the second week of December. I also looked at the Sheraton website. If you want a room for tomorrow night at 51st and 7th Ave.: $179; Dec 8 (Fri.), $449; Dec. 9 (Sat.) $549; Dec. 10 (Sun.) $399. I assumed that because the OP was interested in sightseeing and shopping, he'd want to be in the "midtown" area...and not out in Queens.

Hugh

The previous writer makes a good point. For those hotels that cater to tourists and around Times Square, I can imagine that Friday and Saturday rates are on the high side because these folks checking in would want to leave on Sunday to go back to their homes and be at work on Monday. For hotels that cater to the business crowd, it is the opposite. During Christmas, I can imagine that hotel rates are high as it high season for tourists coming into the city.

Archived