Thaksin ordered by King to dissolve parliament :)

chilli13

PM announces election in a couple of months - dissolve parliament as ordered by King(royal command?)

"Thaksin announces House dissolution

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced a House dissolution Friday evening after he was granted an audience with His Majesty the King.

Thaksin entered the Chitralada Palace at 5 pm to be granted the audience and left the palace shortly before 6 pm.

The prime minister then went to the Thai Rak Thai party head office and told reporters there that he had received a royal command to dissolve the House of Representatives.

The prime minister will on TV pool at 8 pm to make the formal announcement of the House dissolution.

The prime minister said a snap election will be held in two months.

Earlier, the day Thaksin gave a strong hint of a snap election, urging his supporters to vote for him.

The prime minister told a meeting of over 10,000 officials of cooperatives from around the country at Impact Arena, Muang Thong Chaeng Wattana that they should vote for him if they wanted him to serve the country again.

"I would like to thank all of you to come here to provide me moral support ... You don't have to worry about me. I have volunteered to work for the people. As long as the people want to use me, I'll go on working. If not, I'll stop," Thaksin said.

"You have seen me here for five years. If you are bored of me, you can send me home. If you want to continue using me, please vote for me and I'll go on working. It will be simply like that."

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thaksin Shinawatra, Thailand?s once popular prime minister, has dissolved parliament in a bid to defuse the political crisis triggered by his family?s Bt73bn sale of Shin Corp, the telecommunications empire he founded.

Mr Thaksin?s decision to call for a snap election three years ahead of schedule comes ahead of a planned massive anti-government rally that many government officials, business executives, and political observers have feared will result in violence and bloodshed.

Analysts said Mr Thaksin probably calculated that he would be in a stronger position going into new elections if he dissolved parliament before the rally, rather than allowing his critics to display both the breadth and depth of popular opposition to his rule.

?This is like a chess game now, with Thaksin trying to do everything to regain ground, regain credibility and release pressure,? said Thitinan Pongsudhirak, a Chulalongkorn University political science lecturer.

Mr Thaksin won a landslide re-election victory just one year ago, when his Thai Rak Thai (Thais love Thais) party captured 75 per cent of parliamentary seats. But the prime minister has faced mounting calls for his resignation, since his family?s January sale of their 49 per cent stake in Shin Corp to Temasek, the Singapore government?s investment arm.

While Mr Thaksin declared the Shin Corp sale would end the persistent conflict of interest allegations that have dogged his tenure in office, the Shinawatra?s massive tax-free windfall, and the sale of one of Thailand?s largest companies to the arm of a foreign government, galled many Thais. Some Thais were already disillusioned with the premier and his authoritarian style.

?People who had been conditional supporters of him really just got a bad feeling in their stomach, and that has spread a lot further and broader, than just the chattering classes of Bangkok,? said Chris Baker, a Bangkok-based political analyst and author of a book on Mr Thaksin?s political and business career.

Mr Thaksin is scheduled to address the nation in a televised address on Friday night

news.ft.com

The Mrs is in Party Mood Now :beer:

Mr. Fried Egg Face from Chiang Mai should be banned from any political activities for minimum 5 years.

Same as former democrat Maj. Sanan become some years ago.

(Now Sanan is founder of the Mahachon Party)

I'm shure, Thailand will see the most nasty and violate election campagin unless Thaksin will be banned. :(

I seriously doubt the King ordered this, in fact it's a pretty clever move by Thaksin, he still has a LOT of support in Thailand.

Discussing this at work this afternoon, one Thai friend, CEO of a large Co said "intelligent Thais will all vote against him", to which I pointed out that was a minority in most countries.

He'll get back in, and then there will be more trouble, in fact I think the opposition has made a large mistake, if they had kept the pressure but not let him resign it would have given them a ertain victory in 3 years, instead, we'll have at least 4 more years.

DOG

Since we heard the news a couple of hours ago the wife has been on the phone constantly to all her ex Uni Friends (Thamasat allumi :dunno:) and one question already being asked amonst them is about this Snakes latest squirming actions of dissoving goverment and having to call an election within 60 Days and thereby forcing his party members not to jump ship. The law here is you have to have been a member of a political party for 90 days before being allowed to stand in an election.

Well I suppose coming from a guy who had insider knowlegde 2 weeks prior to the devalulation of the Baht in 97 (The then Financ Minister was also Finance Director of Shin Corp at the time) and used this knowledge to his advantage to make millionss, gets elected PM and used goverment funds to finance "Village Loans" then immediatley opened up AIS Outlets in Every Tambon in Thailand thereby making billions ,or should we say filtered goverment funds into his coffers behind this smokescreen of making the villages richer then smuggles it out of the country Tax Free this was to be expected.

The majority of Thai's I know, albeit limite to the wifes friends and family, and the few people at work comfortable enough to discuss politics with me can see through him and his scams, but he can get away with it in the rice fields where his populist support lies, the next couple of months could be rather interesting.

Flashermac its more than 200 Baht now, he buys votes with cellphones.

Archived