Riped off yet again at Pantip

As far as I see there are no recent drivers available.

Anyway the _minimum requirements_ for "Call of Duty" are way beyond your notebook:

MINIMUM CONFIGURATION

* 3D Hardware Accelerator Card required ? 100% DirectX® 9.0a compatible 32MB Hardware T&L-capable video card and drivers*

* Pentium® III 700 or Athlon?processor or higher

* English version of Microsoft® Windows® 98/98SE/ME/2000/XP

* 128MB of RAM

* 8x Speed CD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and drivers

* 181MB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 200MB for Windows swap file)

* 100% DirectX® 9.0a compatible 16 bit sound card and drivers

* 100% Windows® 98/98SE/ME/2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and drivers

* DirectX® 9.0a (not included)

Important Note: *Some 3D accelerator cards with the chipset's listed here may not be compatible with the 3D acceleration features utilized by Call Of Duty. Please refer to your hardware manufacturer for 100% DirectX 9.0 compatibility.

SUPPORTED CHIPSETS:

* ATI® Radeon 7200, 8500, 9000, 9500, 9700, 9800

* All NVidia® GeForce?/Geforce FX chipset's

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a real kick out of reading your post. You must be a great guy to hang around with.

Tecra 8000 is a pretty old machine. Not sure if it will met the requirements for DirectX. Check the Toshiba website. Yamaha is the sound card in that machine. The machine only has 2.5 MB of Video Ram.

Your machine has

Neo Magic Magic Media

256AV display controller/graphics card

Not sure what the capabilities of that are.

old computer = old post

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.laptops/...

[shortened URL description - KS]

The colloquial way to ask if a DVD is the real deal is to ask if it's 100% Secondly if you see a DVD that hasn't been released on Amazon yet. (Case in Point would be Lost Season 2. Then there's a good chance it's not 100%)

Anything less than 100% is probably not what you want.

Can you tell us the Titles of the DVDs you bought?

Again if it has not been released on Amazon it's not going to be 100%

I haven't found a single vendor that's screwed me over on DVDs yet. But if you want a good one here's one. Hollywood Video in Patpong. The Soi with all the night bazaar. The Hetro Soi.

Just so I'm clear. I'm happy with this vendor. They've even allowed me to return DVDs that won't play on my computer but will on any DVD player. Don't expect that from them though but if you speak a little Thai they can be quite friendly.

Although I think it's the same family the guy on the opposite side of the Soi at the other store further down isn't as friendly.

I'm talking about walkin shops here not street vendors but there are also street vendors down at Sala Daeng that will be honest also.

Steffi

"Got a real kick out of reading your post. You must be a great guy to hang around with."

Ha, point taken. It was a complete rant, in frustration. I also brought a Ps2 style 'plug and play' for the laptop that would not plug and play, now consigend to the bin... the games would not work, i then sttled down with a cold beer and a pizza and the bastard DVD's turned out to be moody. I kinda posted in anger, I have been known to rant now and then!

Thanks for the info, but it turns out that regardless of whatever i download, my laptop is too old. For one thing, the games need P3 chips, mine is only a P2.

What pissed me with the DVD's is that they are oldish films.... Four Brothers, Mr and Mrs Smith and memoirs of a geisha (ok the latter is new), the first two have been out for months though. Hey, im not a complete misserable sod! I dont mind the odd one or two naff copies now and then, but I ALLWAYS get stitched up, despite my telling the vendors that i will be back if they just show me the good copies!

Apparently you are either living in BKK or are staying there with your laptop. So when visiting Pantip why not take your laptop with you when purchasing software and try the stuff out before paying.

I realize they usually require payment before they send a runner to fetch your titles, but you should be able to negotiate some kind of refund agreement if you have your laptop with you to check them out on the spot. Don?t know how well this would work with games or installing large programs, but it should certainly work for checking on the quality of DVD?s, VCD?s etc.

ST

I bought the same DVDs that you did weeks ago.

Wll were 100% except for the Geisha movie, it was done

with a video camera and the sound was very poor.

If you buy the DVD in the first few weeks that the movie

comes out, I have found them to be poor, video camera quality.

Wait a month or so, then they are 100%, but not always.

Just drink more beer and the DVDs will look and sound better...right before you pass out!!! ::

Batty said:

What pissed me with the DVD's is that they are oldish films.... Four Brothers, Mr and Mrs Smith and memoirs of a geisha

I wouldn?t fret over these movies. They are average at best and likely to be forgotten not long from now. With regards master copy rips Vs movie cam rips, you can usually be sure the film we be good if it has been released officially on DVD. Sometime you can also get lucky with movies that are critically acclaimed as they oft get released as a promo prior any awards though the subtitles won?t be anygood.

Archived