Riped off yet again at Pantip

For a large selection of reliable DVD's (accurately graded if you ask) on Sukhumvit, between soi's 5 and 7, there are 2 luggage shops side by side. The shop closer to soi 7 sells DVD's out of the back room. They have a very good selection of hard to find titles.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In recent years the Panthip shops have been much sloppier with their CDs -- or rather the guy in the basement who burns them has. Seems a few years ago about 80% of the games and programs worked. Now it is more like 50%. :(

p.s. The shops I always used to go to no longer exist. Panthip is nowhere near what it used to be. Still all right for hardware, but for software it basically sucks.

I was not so impressed with the movie.

Having lived/worked in Japan for 20+ years, I know a

little about the Geisha and the movie was the typical,

misinformed, Hollywood crap. IMO.

Also, being the cheap charlie that I am, i would not spend

the extra 30 Baht to see the movie on a big screen. :o

I've gotten so tired of the 'video camera in a theater' type of DVD that I never buy DVDs of new movies here anymore, only the copies of officially released DVDs, which are usually good. though I have had some trouble with that one place in Panthip as well (getting them to work on my laptop).

now, if it's *software* you're interested in, I have a recommendation: Goofy Software, one level above the food court (if I'm not mistaken) on the same side. I've bought tons of software there, for both PC and Mac, and I've never had a problem with any of it.

preahko

Flashermac said:

In recent years the Panthip shops have been much sloppier with their CDs -- or rather the guy in the basement who burns them has. Seems a few years ago about 80% of the games and programs worked. Now it is more like 50%. :(

p.s. The shops I always used to go to no longer exist. Panthip is nowhere near what it used to be. Still all right for hardware, but for software it basically sucks.

Aye. I now much prefer Fortune for software, and hardware as long as what I need is not too exotic (then I have to go to Panthip). Less people, less scammer vendors, much nicer shopping experience and easier to get to (right at the Rama 9 subway stop). What's not to like? Hmmm, OK, no "sexy DVDs" that I have found, but then again I do not look for them so do not care.

Hey Steffi, good to see you positive about something LOL :up: :up:

Batty, when buying movies, ask if it is a "master copy" which means it is taken from an existing DVD. And this *can* be true even for first run movies as the studios send out DVDs to theatre owners to preview to see if they want to cary the movie or not. Most shop owners will tell you, and most I deal with will take back bad DVDs too (no refund, but will give you a new one, not necessarily the same title).

Cheers,

SD

There are better options than Goofy for Mac software. He used to be good for it but now he's ripping everybody off because he'll sell you typical Mac DVD costs 700 thb and if you ask him why it's so high he'll say "Double Layer" and then I tell him well DVD9 movies that sell on the street for 100 thb are also "Double Layer" and then he just goes back to what he was doing. He used to be the guy to go for Mac software but honestly he's no different than anybody else these days except his prices are so much higher.

I used to buy games in Panthip and treat them more as shareware. I installed the game, and if it ran, and I liked it, I would buy the genuine product when I was back in the US.

However, lately, I have been having problems installing many of the games like Quake 4, Call of Duty, Civilization IV, Doom III, FEAR, Half Life 2, etc.

The instructions on the DVD are often written in Thai and honestly take an IT professional to figure them out. It often is not just a matter of a CRACK file, but there are imaging tools you have to use like Alcohol 120%, Daemon, etc. and then the image must be 'mounted' on a virtual dvd drive. I had my girlfriend's friend who works in IT over for hours and he couldn't figure out some of the games.

Taking them back just never works as it is such a pain to go back for 1-2 games.

AT the end of the day, i should just go and buy a Playstation. They are cheap enough here and easy to get chiped, and the games allways work. My last playstation got damaged in transit, and i never got around to buying another.

By the way, whilst walking through MBK the other day i seen a shop with ps2's with a built in monitor...right? Or have my eyes decieved me? maybe its an old comcept, but i have never seen a ps2 with a built in screen before. Are they any good?

Archived