Requesting Thermae and Street Update:

NokTang

Not been to Bangkok in about six months.

Any update on Thermae and the street much appreciated.

Specifically interested in comments on:

-Prices being asked for and/or expected. I included expected because on some occassions I don't settle the deal before hand as takes away from the fantasy of it all. Generally, good service and no bitching about condom or "I don't do that" or "you finish yet" shit and the lady gets 1000baht. I don't have time to bicker about it. I don't want to argue down with a freelancer from 1500baht to 1000baht and then have a service problem. Last visit, there was some oddball union scale of 1500baht inside Thermae?

-Also curious about Soi 7 BeerGarden if you are still reading. Same particulars and vicious union scale of 1500baht short time?

How are things up there NOT IN BARS?

thanks in advance.

Nok the Kook

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This morning I found myself catching a bus quite early. Not covering your questions specifically my observations follow.

Rather than risk oversleeping I decided to go for a walk and have breakfast at Took La Dee at Foodland soi 5 around 4:30 am.

Sukhumvit from about Robinsons all the way to Soi 3 is a wide open streetwalker strecth. Sure some of the women are nice- a few desperate girls from Soi Cowboy bars that just gotta have one more customer.

HUGE number of katoey doing their usual katoey theft shit on drunken tourists. I don't know if you remember the poster Mighty Mouse some time back but I wish he had been there with me to do his famous drop kick stuff on some of the very agressive katoey in groups so I could get away.

I did not go in Thermae but did walk by it and am sure it was closed.

The latest fad sems to be the portable bar set up from the back of the truck. A few chairs, a counter with bottles, no llicense for the police to take away and it all is unloaded from the back of a truck in just a few minutes. Maybe a dozen in all on this stretch and every one had customers.

Lots and lots of the usual street food vendors as well and most were also busy.

Did not see a single police officer in uniform anywhere although I am sure Lumpinees finest were out in numbers in plainclothes- those guys never miss a chance to make a money.

The prices I heard- unsolicited on my part- were five hundred baht. Keep in mind this was 4:30am!

Many very, very drunk falang.

Also a lot of Nigerians eager to talk and a large number of Arabs walking as well as I got close to Foodland.

All in all I would describe it as fucking awful.

If I was an upper/middle class Thai going to an early golf game or work I would be so ashamed!!!

It was interesting that the Robinsons side of Sukhumvit was where everything was- the other side was completely empty.

The bars must be allowed to stay open whenever they want or this whole fucking mess on Sukhumvit is going to stay!

Sounds like the free market in action to me. Maybe the last place in the world where it can be found. The potential for violence is what worries me about it.

Not sure why you think having expensive bars open all night would change anything. Nigerians, arabs, low end drunken falang, desperate girls, vendors and katois would still be hanging around outside anyway. Cheap bars like the ones Chuwit bulldozed might help.

The upper/middle class Thais probably don't care too much. They own the hotels and wholesale liquor outlets. I'm sure the people who own Foodland aren't complaining. :)

NokTang said:-Also curious about Soi 7 BeerGarden if you are still reading. Same particulars and vicious union scale of 1500baht short time?

Nok the Kook

Nok...standard rate at Soi 7 BG is 1000. Some guys will tell ya that they get if for less, but have my doubts as to what the provider was like...or how long it took to bargain down to that price. Last trip two months ago to the BG, I took 3 gals and each one was satisfied with a 1000. All asked "how much you pay" in advance. I'd say "1000" and they said "ok". Good service, by all, I might add.

HH

chuckwow--

The potential for violence was most certianly there and that is what concerned me as well.

I wish something could be done about the katoey.

I pass the Soi 23 end of Soi Cowboy almost every night at some point. Some nights later than others. Almost the same group of katoey every night and they sure as shit hate me.

I have never seen a wallet get lifted but I have seen falang seconds after noticing the wallet is gone. The katoey swarm the guy and then all head off in different directions.

Try telling a drunk falang that is a man with tits he is touching and you will be told, at best, to fuck off...

Those katoi are bastards....no doubt about it....I just smile and keep my hands in my pockets...never lost more than a couple hundred baht. They probably have knives too so I wouldn't upset them too much.

I'm more worried about violent farang than the locals. Seem to be more and more bother boys around lately. You only have to look at some of those yobs and you're in trouble.

I do not recall hearing about it here but know for a fact that a guy was stabbed to death by a katoey at the omni mansions in soi four last month. Lower suk is starting to sound more like Pattaya, and 4.30 like the aftermath of a full moon party.You don't notice so much if you've had a few, but having just got up puts a whole new light on things.

chuckwow-

I agree that there needs to be some cheap bar districts, Clinton Plaza and Chuvits that you mentioned filled this market niche very well. My point is only that it needs to be in an area where it is not so visible. That way Thais can look away if they choose to pretend to not see it.

This is just too much in your face as it is now....free markets are great but this is a consequence.

The violent falang could be a real problem in this area in the time frame that I was there. I hate to say it but UK nationals far outnumbered anyone else. I would say UK, then German and the Nordic countries, then American.

Only rarely do I drink to the point of being near comatose these days due to lack of interest as well as age.

But if you want to drink to the point where walking is a challenge, then engage in a vigorous debate about soccer where every other word is "fuck", then this is the area for you.

It would also help you to fit in if you shave your head and get a few very badly done tattos on the forearms.

I would also imagine a willingness to have sex with exceptionally ugly women, where the only factor is price, might might help you to blend in as well.

If 500 is the opening bid I cannot think of how it could go up from there...

Archived