Requesting Thermae and Street Update:

NokTang

Of course everyone missed the point. I could give a rat's ass about "being afraid of being beat up". Waaaahhh! I'm not and I am plenty big enough to take care of myself anyway.

I was referring to the general scummy nature of the place and its denizens. Go away. Take it to Pattaya. They seem to welcome those kinds of punters/leeches there.

BTW, all youse guys who claimed to grow up in those tough places...exactly why is it you are still not there? Uh huh. I rest my case.

This subject is exactly WHY there is so much resentment of farangs and the whole nightlife scene in Bangkok over the past few years. Sorry if you don't get it.

Regards,

SD

PS -- Don't bother pointing out that the new laws and early closing significantly contributed to said mess. I know, TIT. But the internet and cheap travel did too IMHO.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PS -- Don't bother pointing out that the new laws and early closing significantly contributed to said mess. I know, TIT. But the internet and cheap travel did too IMHO.

I'm with you up to that point. The 'mess' was there 30 years ago but it's grown. I think higher drink prices and barfines have more to do with it than early closing. The kind of punters you're talking about don't go in bars much anyway. The really dedicated ones are nocturnal. They spend the day in their rooms drinking then stagger out around 2 am to eat noodles and check out the leftovers.

Allright, touchy! I was kinda making my own point. In any case, i was more refering to my town at the weekends, after kicking out time. Aside from those hours, it was a nice place in many ways.

But still i dont realy see too much pataya like rowdiness going on in lower suk... just drunk people. Then again, usualy when im down there at that time i dont hang about - i leave the bar and go home in a cab. If i nip out for food, its just straight in and out. Maybe if i hung around for an hour or so i may see a different side to it.

Anyhow, I cant believe suk didnt contain idiotic drunks at 3am 15 years ago...?

Cheap travel and airfares has certainly contributed to the European growth in travellers - strangely I have really felt the same increase from the USA which surprises me - sure Its gone up but not by the same volumes - presume its related to the amount of holiday people get. As a Brit, when I worked in UK nearly 10 years ago - I got 5 weeks paid holiday a year - presume 6 weeks is not that uncommon anymore - coupled with the ability to get a flight to Thailand for roughly I would guess an average 1 week salary (as against 2 weeks 10 years ago and 4 weeks salary 15 years ago) means its easy to afford. Plus for Europeans, traditional holiday spots are now all in the Euro zone, so prices have increased considerably - end result is that 2 weeks in Thailand is same price or lower than 2 weeks in Spain once you factor in spending money, hotels etc.

Can't say though that I spend too much time on Sukhumvit at these twilight hours, but I'd imagine its no more of a problem than in many other places. Strangely I spend much more time out late in Pattaya and very very rarely ever see any trouble of any kind - perhaps its because they just keep serving the drink and turn of the lights. I would assume though its a bit more hit & miss in some bars and areas. JP bar off wlaking street springs to mind - where lots of people congregate for late drinking and music.

• 2 months later...

I'm with MaiLuk, although I agree with Himitsu that the lower Suk scene would be better if placed in a less visible area (like when it was in the Grace hotel basement, or when Thermae was open late). I've been a late night regular off and on for six years, and consider it one of my favorite locales in Thailand or anywhere else (note my screen name, not created for this thread).

Yes, it looks a bit like the Mos Eisley cantina, but that's its special charm. You enjoy what appears a dangerous gutter scene, but underneath the patina its safe and friendly. While some African guys are in Thailand for dubious reasons, they're out on Suk at night for the same reasons I am, not to scam - the cool night air, the pleasant company, and the available drinks at 5:30 am... (If you want to meet those who are up to no good, check out the Miami area on Petchburi Soi 43 [?]... not lower suk). More arabs and africans (and tgs) have bought me drinks on Suk than white farangs. I've seen few african problems, but witnessed many fights between two drunk farangs (and yes, football seemed to play a role!), or drunk farang and drunk TG - not as bad as pattaya, but still ugly. I've been ashamed to see farangs beat the crap out of tiny tgs down there without any interference from other farangs, and hoped the girls took quiet revenge later. Only once have I seen Thai guys fight - three or four materialised to beat the hell out of a drunk Finn - clearly arrived with a purpose, spent about two minutes beating the guy unconscious, and left. Not random violence, rather something the guy was going to get sooner or later. The only death I've seen was a thai guy who walked in front of a pickup and got smashed - sad but purely accidental (of course the driver 'fled the scene' in classic LOS style).

The lower Suk girls are the most fun and best-hearted I've met in Thailand, hands-down. Many have flipped the odometer, yes, but I've also met girls brand new to the scene, and department store and hairdresser girls out for fun with friends. I've had some stay in my apartment when they had nowhere to sleep - none caused trouble, and all cleaned my place while I was at work! Once they know you, these girls take great care of their own. I'm stupid, yes, but I've even sent girls from lower suk off with my atm card to pick up some cash for me - no problems (like I said, I'm stupid, I admit it). Plus, they always know where the late, late night and morning venues are still open, and will tag along just for sanuk. Service with a smile! Love' em...

I've been out of LOS for 6 mos, but at times the boys in brown have posted a plainclothes officer in the area to keep order. He usually just sits and drinks with friends or girls, and probably collects tea money for his superiors, but he was there and folks knew he was. Uniformed officers occasionally do immigration checks (on the africans), and sometimes close the minibars early, but I haven't seen other BIB problems.

If you're down there tonite, give the girls my best -- Kim khit hoht sao soi 13 lai deu!

- unThai'd

MrSoi13 said:Only once have I seen Thai guys fight - three or four materialised to beat the hell out of a drunk Finn - clearly arrived with a purpose, spent about two minutes beating the guy unconscious, and left.

I'm shocked!

A group of Thai guys beating on an outmanned and drunk westerner.

I've never heard of such a thing! ::

Oh no, didn't mean to start that debate up again! I really don't spend any time thinking about whether Thai men are innately violent, or naturally dirty fighters - don't think much about Thai men at all, too busy with my mind on the women. At least I was clear that it wasn't random violence, right? Can't know what the cause of it was, but it was definitely a purposeful 'hit' and not a robbery or a fight.

What am I doing at work when I could be drunk on soi 13 with a team of Buriram's best?! Makes me want to hop on a plane just thinking about it... though the fact that my idea of a dream vacation is sitting on a plastic stool drinking beer singh on that filthy soi starts me wondering: where did Mom go wrong while she was raising me?

MrSoi13 said:

.... where did Mom go wrong while she was raising me?

Hi mrsoi,

I don't think she did. I never used to hang out down there in the early hours but found other ways to experience the feeling of freedom in LOS. That is its attraction. And warm weather. And beautiful women. And ....

I used to love sitting in one of the little outside areas of the bars in Soi Cowboy just watching the world go by. Cactus or Shark were my favourites.

Khwai

Thanks for the affirmation - what really matters is having a good heart, right? And (after I buy yet another round of drinks for my Buriram fan club) they assure me that I'm 'jai di too mutt!' Amazing what a round of drinks can do for you in thailand...

- unthai'd

"Mama tried to raise me better, but her pleading, I denied.

That leaves only me to blame 'cos Mama tried..."

Archived