30 Day Visa, Visa Runs.. what about the airport?

Weird

A few years back when my RT tickets were from the US I would put the return date within the thirty days. Then after I was in Thailand I would change to a later date. I always flew with China Airlines and always got a six month ticket, China Airlines was always pretty flexible with this. I have no experience with the other airlines, best to ask them or your travel agent....

By the way it is my understanding that Thai Immigration at the airport rarely if ever ask for a ticket and they have never asked me. I was asked in the Philippines and they also asked my TG....

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be flying NWA U.S.-BKK on Sept. 21 and have the return set for the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I'm not sure now when I'll be coming back, since I 'm building a house in C.M., but NWA said I could change the return ticket up to 90 days after the date of the flight and since it is a FF ticket, it will cost $25 to change.

I just got back from Oz flying on Singapore. I had the return part of a RT tix bought in BKK. Now I have not renewed my one year visa yet, so I am on a 30 day entry like a tourist. SQ did give me some hassle at the check-in counter, but in the end let me fly because I have dozens of stamps and old visas in my passport (so they said).

Cheers,

SD

Last year, I did one of those 2 nite/3 day package trips to Singapore from Bangkok. The outbound flight was on Cathay Pacific, the return on Finair. When I tried to check in to Finair for the return, they asked to see my ticket to leave Thailand. I explained that this was a weekend trip and that my return ticket to the US was in my Bangkok apartment. Supervisors were called and it took about an hour to finally be allowed to board the flight.

It can be very arbitrary, a particular clerk having a bad day but the rules are there if they want to be pricks.

Dddave, the counter agents were far from being pricky. They were quite nice and apologetic...just enforcing the rules as they had been asked to and I never get angry at someone for doing their job. In this case I know the Thai immi rules (enforcement is another matter) and know that I was breaking them. I would have nicely and willingly bought a tix to somewhere outside of LoS had I not been able to convince them to let me go.

This is never an issue with TG tho', from experience. I travel so much that I sometimes have no time to renew the one year visa for a couple of months after it's expired.

Julian, it seems to me that OW tix here in Asia are pretty much always 1/2 the cost of a RT. But I could be wrong as I very rarely buy one.

Cheers,

SD

First time...flying today from Chicago to Narita (Japan) to BKK. At the ticket counter they asked for my visa for Japan???

Dahhh, USA citizens gat a 90 day business visa, autoatically, for number 1.

2) I am in transit in Japan, heading to BKK.

New gal at the counter, but they are being trained to ask.

My new/renewed passport with all the pages empty added to the confusion.

All is well and will be in BKK shortly ::

elef said:

I never had a visa (the 30 days is not a visa as for all visas there're fees), I buy my return tickets in Pattaya from TG and never had any problem with check-in in Copenhagen.

But Elef my friend, which airline do you fly? TG? No issue at all cuz they know the rules are never enforced. Others? YMMV, as happened to me and others.

Cava, good to hear. Hope to see you in BKK.

Cheers,

SD

Archived