30 Day Visa, Visa Runs.. what about the airport?

Weird

Ok.. I understand that it is possible to do an out of country run to say Cambodia to get an additional 30 days.

Now let's I would like a trip to Thailand for say 90 days (with 2 trips to Cambodia).

So if I purchase the plane tickets... and attempt to go through the airport, will they allow me to with a return date of 90 days later on a 30 day visa?

Is there anybody who has done this who can give me some helpful advice?

BTW I live in the USA.

Thanks

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No problem.

I am from the USA and have come/gone to Thailand for a looooong time.

I have never been asked to show my return ticket. I usually do not have a return ticket, as I use Bangkok as my center of operation and go to all the other countries of Asia.

If they say something, just tell them you plan to take the bus to Cambodia. It is very common to do a bus tour to Cambodia or Laos and makes for a nice visit if the surrounding countries!

The problem will not be Thai immigration. Cavanami has got that covered.

The problem would be with the airline. Some of them are stiff pricks and will give you a hassle boarding without a return within 30 days (without a visa, that is). If you fly Thai, no problem. If you fly another Asian carrier, most likely no problem. If you fly a US carrier, maybe some issue. If so, be nice and persistant. Do not be rude. You'll likely be OK, *but* they are within their rights to deny you boarding.

Cheers,

SD

My 2 main concerns were boarding from the US to head to Thailand, and Thai immigration.

If I will have no problems with Thai immigration.. great

As for boarding in the US... can you guys give me a list of airlines that give no hassle and which ones actually do check? I'd like to avoid as many problems as possible.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

<<So if I purchase the plane tickets... and attempt to go through the airport, will they allow me to with a return date of 90 days later on a 30 day visa?>>

Yes of course they will, absolutely no problem. Travel within S E Asia is very common, if you was travelling on a one way ticket, then you;d have problem, 90/180 day/1 year ticket, no problem.

DOG

Weird said:

As for boarding in the US... can you guys give me a list of airlines that give no hassle and which ones actually do check? I'd like to avoid as many problems as possible.

Errr I already did...

Look at my first reply to you.

EDIT: There are no absolutes (except Thai). The rest is up to the check-in agent's mood and interpretation of the rules on that particular date. The issue the airlines face is that if you cannot get into the country because you do not have the proper docs (that they were suupposed to verify before boarding), then the carrier is responsible for flying you back home at their expense.

Regards,

SD

Archived