30 Day Visa, Visa Runs.. what about the airport?

Weird

I do not think he has bought it yet. But regardless, as I said, if coming to LoS without a visa and a tix with a return longer than 30 days out, he MAY have problems with a US carrier. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt.

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Korean Airlines once questioned my lack of a Thailand visa, at JFK, but accepted my explanation that I would be traveling to other countries before the initial Thailand 30 day arrival stamp expired.

I don't fly US carriers internationally because they suck, but if you are going to have a problem, it would be with those morons, unfortunately. Sadly, you should book with an Asian carrier, for the visa issue and for a better and more comfortable flight.

On a recent trip to Japan (on JAL) with return from BKK at check-in at Narita she looked for the visa. Don't know what would have happened if I did not have it, but assume there would have been questions...

Some years ago, when traveling with my wife (then gf) from BKK to KL on one way, ticket agent gave us a hard time as my wife did not have Malaysian visa (I did). I showed my credit card(s) to agent to assure them I could buy return for her and they gave her boarding pass.

TH

Just as an aside, I remember seeing a woman get some grief at the Northwest counter in Losangeles in August becuse she didn't have a return ticket. "But, this is my return trip! I live there..." she pleaded. It did not look like this was going to end well.

Fast forward to January this year, and at LAX I checked in with an e-ticket by having a machine scan my passport. My stay in Thailand would be about 3 months. Nobody checked my visa, though there was some vague wording flased on the sceen like "Some countries may require a visa..."

Yep, it seems things have laxed up at LAX (at the Northwest check in counter at least).

I've been traveling into Thailand with one way tickets for some time now. (I buy round trip tickets originating in Thailand).

Even though I usually have a visa no one has ever asked to see it.

An American automatically gets a 30 visa upon arrival.

The original poster mentioned wanting to stay for 90 days.

The easiest way to do that is get a 60 day tourist visa from a thai consulate in the US. Which is then extendable for another 30 days without leaving the country.

• 1 month later...

Not having a return or an onward ticket or a visa is risky. They check randomly at the ticket counter, and if they do happen to check you, and find you without a ticket, or a visa they will not let you board the plane, period. It happened to me and my only option was to buy an onward ticket at the counter for 240 dollars to Taipei and then get a partial refund a few weeks later. The refund is a hassle and there is a 100 dollar fee. The whole thing in fact was a big hassle and I almost didn't have time to get the ticket.

All this happened because I listened to one of those know-it-all bar room genius that couldn't shut up not even for one moment. He said quite confidently that whenever he had been asked to show a ticket or a visa he would just brag about how much money he intended to spend and that they would just let him through.

My RT tickets originate here in Thailand, so before I come back I go on line and buy an onward tickett to Cambodia that I never use. Cost is only about 1,500 baht so I don't even worry about a refund. Funny thing is, I never get asked any more, but last time through they did ask the guy in front of me.

Archived