NorthWorst cocksuckers

Dude_Le_Rude

might be bullshit, but...

I just saw a bit on ABC or some news saying NorthWorst airlines may start charging people to get the "better" seats on planes. For example, you might have to pay more to get an exit row or bulkhead...

What the fuck?

bad enough they took away free alcohol and free food on domestic flights years back...

Then those mother fucking messa fanuk bankrupt cheapskates recently started charging US$5 per drink on frigging International flights between the US and Japan...

meaning I have to get seriously liquor'd up in the lounge before I get on board AND I have to remember to bring my own fucking bottle of John Daniel's with me...

other thing the news bit said, they or other airlines might start charging for checking bags... more than 150$ US in fuel surcharges for international flights and now they start this shit.

:( ::

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's true.

Lots of talk about it here.

What happens if you are one of the last ones checking in and there are only the premium seats left? Do they *force* you to pay (that'll go over well :doah:), let you sit there for free or refund your non-refundable tix?

They *charge* for drinks on an International flight???????

I guess I'll use up these 300K miles I have left over 30K at a time to Japan as I'll never fly them to the States again (not that I have in many years).

As someone else mentioned, I just don't understand the economics of this. The press release said that about 10 seats per flight would be affected. Therefore max marginal revenue per flight is $150.

Given the increase cost of administering this program (at a minimum, there needs to be some computer coding and some customer service training) and the bad will created, I can't see how this is an economically beneficial idea.

Sounds like another short-sighted plan from corporate America.

Cheers,

SD

Thanks for the links.

oh yeah, SD, they do charge 5$ for the Japan-US route. Assholes.

fucked up thing, when they sent me my new "Elite" member package which included 2 free drink coupons which says for "any NW economy flight" (Elite member... uhhh, huh huh, he said, 'Elite Member' Beavis and Butthead voice)

I thought this was because of the domestic thing, and because they heard how grouchy I get when I don't have a drink in my hand...

little did I know, about to board a 12 hour flight, I heard from a buddy I ran into at the check-in counter...

fast track to that Doody Free Shop, and got my most precious bottle of 'John'. Saved the day for me, and, :: a few , ahem, 'new' friends. Great ice-breaker. One of the flight attendants started giving me shit about an "un-authorized" open bottle in the cabin.

"Sure, sure, I'll put it away, sorry, didn't know that was not allowed..."

She turns her back, dumped the Coke out of the can, filled it with:

"that brown liquor, which not women, not boys and children, but only hunters drank."

John Daniels? "He may be Jack to you son, but when you've known him as long as I have... that's a joke." Love that movie!

"Tits. Hoo-ah! Big ones, little ones, nipples staring right out at ya, like secret searchlights. Mmm. Legs. I don't care if they're Greek columns... or secondhand Steinways. What's between 'em... passport to heaven. I need a drink. Yes, Mr Sims, there's only two syllables in this whole wide world worth hearing: pussy. Hah! Are you listenin' to me, son? I'm givin' ya pearls here."

Oops, sorry. Got sidetracked.

Smart thinnin', with the Duty Free there homey! And a monger saves the day once again!

Cheers,

SD

suadum said:

John Daniels? "He may be Jack to you son, but when you've known him as long as I have... that's a joke." Love that movie!

"Tits. Hoo-ah! Big ones, little ones, nipples staring right out at ya, like secret searchlights. Mmm. Legs. I don't care if they're Greek columns... or secondhand Steinways. What's between 'em... passport to heaven. I need a drink. Yes, Mr Sims, there's only two syllables in this whole wide world worth hearing: pussy. Hah! Are you listenin' to me, son? I'm givin' ya pearls here."

that is a GREAT movie!

Hoo-ah!

I'm no fan of NW, but a little perspective is needed. Transatlantic and transpacific flights aren't included. It's only coach class on domestic flights that are affected. Virtually all the seats for which there will be a charge were already occupied by elite Frequent Flyers. What the program does is give a non-elite passenger who purchases a cheapo fare (K,V, X designation) a chance (a very slim chance) to buy a premium seat for $15 extra. I doubt many of those seats will be available to non-elite passengers anyway, as they are offered to elite status passengers first.

For my part, NW almost always automatically upgrades me to first class on domestic flights, so I can't see any downside to the program. According to the expert on TV, it could generate as much as $20 million a year in revenues for NW. What's the problem?

I've copied the email from NW below.

Evel Penevil

:devil:

As you may know, Northwest launched a new product called Coach ChoiceSM on March 14, 2006. As part of the implementation plan, I wanted to make sure that the facts are clearly communicated to our most valuable WorldPerks members. Coach Choice is a test program where 5% of domestic coach seat assignments are available at time of check in for $15 per flight. Elite members also have access to these domestic seats at 36 hours prior to departure via nwa.com® Manage My Reservations. Transatlantic and Transpacific flights are not included in the Coach Choice program.

These domestic Coach Choice seats are primarily a combination of exit row and aisle seats. However, the Select Seating zone remains an important part of the WorldPerks Elite program. Exit row seats and bulkhead seats continue to be available free of charge on all Northwest aircraft. In fact, 65% of exit row seats remain free and are available for assignment to Elite members up to 90 days prior to departure as part of the Select Seating zone.

We know that premium seating is an important Elite benefit. Because of this, Northwest will continue to have a substantial Select Seating zone, offer unlimited complimentary First Class upgrades and offer a higher percentage of domestic First Class seats than any of our North American competitors. Elite members are very important to us. We appreciate your business and value your loyalty.

Sincerely,

Jim Cron

Vice President of Passenger Marketing & Sales

Evel_Penivel said:

I'm no fan of NW, but a little perspective is needed. Transatlantic and transpacific flights aren't included.

For my part, NW almost always automatically upgrades me to first class on domestic flights, so I can't see any downside to the program. According to the expert on TV, it could generate as much as $20 million a year in revenues for NW. What's the problem?

s

SD said:

"As someone else mentioned, I just don't understand the economics of this. The press release said that about 10 seats per flight would be affected. Therefore max marginal revenue per flight is $150.

Given the increase cost of administering this program (at a minimum, there needs to be some computer coding and some customer service training) and the bad will created, I can't see how this is an economically beneficial idea.

Sounds like another short-sighted plan from corporate America."

________

I don't know about 20,000,000 per year..

I'll defer to SD's judgement about what is or what might not be a good business idea.

For me:

The lack of free booze on the Japan-US routes is a bit of a bummer. I just have to remember to pack my own. No real biggie. I realize they will save thousands and generate more income in this way with the booze. Probably save quite a bit on weight, too. Sales did not seem to be too brisk the other day... they will probably figure out they don't have to pack so much.

Like when they got rid of all of the magazines a year or two ago... those extra pounds cost a lot.

I also get upgraded automatically, as a gold member, ("uhh huh huh, huh- he said Gold Member"-- Beavis and Butthead voice) on the domestic routes, or always the exit row.

The new information/perspective you posted about the trans atlantic and trans pacific routes NOT being affected by this does make the whole thing seem a bit trite but I was in a pretty shitty mood earlier...

I only glanced at the links SD put up, and reading fine-print details has never been my strong suit. :)

Thanks! ::

I heard another rumor that the priority seats will be available on a time-share basis through some Florida based company. That is, 5 customers will each pay only $3 USD to get an exit row seat for 1 out of the 5 hours it takes to fly from JFK to LAX. Now that seems a bit fucked up, but then again, you never know when it comes to rumors about NorthWorst. :)

I also heard another rumor that a rather famous boutique style brothel based in Bangkok will be offering services in the crew bunks upstairs or in the restrooms, but the price for THOSE services at 35,000 feet is rather dear. :)

Seriously, thanks for the info. :D

NW now has the worst coach product in the USA and that takes some doing. Its transpac flights are probably the worst coach product. Dirty planes, surly/rude FAs, poor schedule and 1/3 of my flights through NRT have had MAJOR delays. They can not make their fares low enough for me to ever fly them again. :onfire:

I bet the whole thing started as a joke at a board meeting ( lets start charging for bulkhead and exit seats) and someone then thought it was a good idea.

as for myself, the bulkhead seat is no better, still a pain.

my rant with NW is business class seat shown 120k miles to bkk, but if you realllllly want it, its actually 240 K miles

The last time I flew NW, the FAs put tape over half the lavatorys, with a written "Do Not Use" message scrawled across it.

That episode and other lack of services made me choose foreign carriers for international travel, from than on. On Korean, Thai, etc., the FAs routinely maintain the lavatorys.

All US carriers are a mess and I avoid them like the plague.

Archived