USB 2 hard drive problem - only runs in slow mode

Palatkik

I am using WinXPProSP2 with latest updates and this week my trusty external USB 2.0 hard disk stopped working when I plugged it in. The device manager now lists it as unknown device- it used to work! It still works on other PC's.

I have noticed if I disable the Sis PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller in Device Manager the hard disk is recognised but runs in USB 1.1 slow mode. Reverting back to enabling Sis PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller in Device Manager returns to an unknown device problem.

Anyone else experienced this problem and know fix to get back up to USB2?

Cheers

No other ideas?

Uninstall all devices listed in device manager under USB. Re-install the chipset drivers for your mainboard chipset (which I guess includes the USB controller). Get the most recent drivers from your mainboard manufacturer.

Downside can be that all your USB devices will be detected as new devices and have to be set up and configured.

Should work. Kind of drastic, but less drastic than repairing or reinstalling the OS.

Well I fixed it, but don't know how!

I unistalled all the USB devices with the device manager then installed all the latest SIS drivers for the USB. I am not sure they were much newer than I had but got latest I could find on driver download sites. The SIS web site seemed to offer none.

This made no difference!

Today I pulled out a 4 port USB 2.0 hub I had occasionally plugged into one of the 4 USB 2.0 hubs already on the PC. Since I have stopped using this external hub, things have got back to normal. It took several reboots over a day after stop using the extrenal hub, so don't know if the hub was really to blame, but without it all my high speed devices now work again.

I had a USB 2 hub crap out on me in the exact same fashion on my daughter's confuser. But I had the device plugged into it.

I never made it to trying the device and the hub plugged in at the same time (but not to each other) to see if that was an issue.

Sounds like a common problem.

Cheers,

SD

You didn't mention if the hub you use requires its own power supply.

I too have a hard drive which works off the USB.

I do notice that if I plug it in direct to the PC, a laptop, it works perfectly. However anywhere else i.e. hub, it needs that extra bit of power.

Suggestion: this hard drive I have was previously in my laptop and I upgraded the laptop to a bigger drive. This left me with a 10Gb hard drive that I didn't know what to do with.

On one of my trips to Bangkok I saw and bought a hard dick enclosure for it. I now have a portable 10Gb hard drive that I bring around with me especially to work. Useful to download large files. I also have memory sticks but I find the portable HD very useful. So anyone out there who might be getting a bigger HD for the laptop then keep the old one and do what I did.

Of course the same can be done with the desktop 'size' HD.

Archived