Thai trip April - impact of elections and Songkran

voodoo31

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What your 2 copied articles show are just that not all thai vote even it it's compulsory. The consequenses for not voting are limited (see the law I quoted up), but listen now - if you go to authorities and want to something as renewing your ID-card they get notified by the computer system that you not voted and sure you must pay a lot extra to get your ID-card at normal speed.

I can quote from the thai constitution also that voting is compulsory if you still think it's not, but you must be able to understand the law text.

KS

I am being civil,

For a start it was not I who asked the question but the OP elef seems to have missed that point, and second it was not I who was talking rubbish about "HAVING to vote.

Since Elef wishes to quote the Thai Constitution, yet cannot quote the actual section refering to this I take it upon myself to do so.

Chapter IV Duties of The Thai People

Section 50. Every person shall have a duty to exercise

his right of election in good faith.

Abstention from Voting is exercising ones right of election, to persecute a person for not voting is thereby unconstitutional in itself

Hi,

First of all, I think both of you are now acting like little children :(

Secondly, if all it says is "Section 50. Every person shall have a duty to exercise his right of election in good faith." then I agree that voting is mandatory. I have actually always understood that it is mandatory in this country, btw.

Now can we drop this?

Sanuk!

elef said:

source

BTW in some countries in Europe it's also compulsory to vote, I think BB mentioned that in Belgium you're asked to go to the city hall and give an explanation why you didn't do it if you didn't.

HeHeHe....boy, the things I could think of saying......Let's see now...I didn't vote because I don't vote for @#$%^& crooks would on the top of my list.....

Shit.

One of my Thai friends told me his boss didn't allow him to take a leave to vote on Sunday...but he's going anyway since he missed a few times already. And if you miss a certain amount his 'right' to vote will be taken away from him.

:rolleyes:

I asked some Thais who should know and I think there is a certain confusion. What was posted above seems about right and when you do vote again you regain your rights. I was also told that you can not apply for civil service jobs if you have not voted.

I think that petty officials who want to make a point can use the not voting tag as a way to create a problem. If you are "A" political it does not matter.

And because of having to vote at home many people are effectivly disinfranachised: they have neither the time nor the money to get home.

The main point is you can vote not to vote for anybody wheras in most countries the only option is do not vote, or spoil the ballot.

Do they have a system in Thailand such as a postal vote or absintee vote for people who aren't at home?

If they don't, what a pain in the arse - having to travel half-way or more across the country to vote for some prick with his snout in the trough! Feel sorry for someone who lives in Chiang Mai, say, but originally has a home in Hat Yai! That's 1500km!

MooNoi

Archived