Anybody else have this nasty bug going around?

Suadum,

I picked up something similar to what you have described the day before I flew home after my visit in the second half of March. It ripped into me and on top of feeling like crap and coughing up green things with bones I also had intermittent doses of diarrhoea. Just what I needed the day before flying out ...

Took me about 10 days to get over it. I didn't take any medication apart from Immodium when necessary for the safety of my underpants. I had plenty of rest, ate good food and drank red wine (for medicinal purposes only ::). The body eventually sorted itself out and the infection(s) disappeared.

No idea what it was or where I picked up the infection. My girl didn't have any problems at the time I left.

Hope you're over it by now.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over the past few years, I get a nasty cold/flu after coming back to the USA (on United) from Thailand almost every time. It can last from a few days to a few weeks. Only once did it affect the flight home, but almost always nails me within a few days afterwards.

Don't know if you read my reply post regarding pickpockets on the BTS, but I wrote:

No pickpocket, but some fucker did sneeze in my face. That night I felt IT creeping up all over my body. I had the famous Bangkok achy body cold/flu for a month! Yes keep vigilant, and keep your hands in your pockets.

-OT

I wiped out the major symptoms with a dose of Avelox 400MG tabs, perscribed by a doctor at Samitivej Hospital. You can also purchase them at the pharmacy's just past Suk Soi 4 on the left.

I am still not 100%, but feeling a lot better. That was over 6 weeks ago.

-OT

Discahrges (nasal, from brochioles, lungs, etc.) due to viruses generally 'run' clear. If they have color (green, yellow, etc.) usually a bacterial infection has developed; and, this would require antibiotic therapy. Augmentin is the drug of chice for sinus infections; and, being a second generation derivative of penicillin, it usually does a good job with most lung infections and bronchitis. Sinus infections can be quite persistent, and treatment with an antibiotic for 10-14 days may be indicated. Also, I've heard some say that eating lots of spicy chili keeps the secretions flowing and facilitates clearing such infections.

Of course if no improvement is seen with the antibiotic, a trip to the doctor is in order, especially in the presence of fever.

Viruses on the other hand do run their course and do not respond to antibiotics.

Just a note on antibiotic prices. A course of Augmentin which is Amoxicillin and Clavulanic Acid runs at 990 baht, Amoksiklav which is also Amoxicillin and Clavulanic Acid is 400 baht and a course of amoxicillin is just 120 baht. So the decision is whether this clavulanic acid is worth the extra.

Apparently addition of clavulanic acid to amoxicillin enhances the effectiveness of this antibiotic against many other bacteria that are ordinarily resistant to amoxicillin.

Amoksiklav is less than half the price of Augmentin.

Day after I got home last week woke up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat with my head pounding. Got up to get some water and almost fell over I was so dizzy. 4 days on and I've pretty much lost the dizziness, but the headache is still there. Thought I'd finally managed a trip without getting sick, but no such luck.

liquidflux said:

Day after I got home last week woke up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat with my head pounding. Got up to get some water and almost fell over I was so dizzy. 4 days on and I've pretty much lost the dizziness, but the headache is still there. Thought I'd finally managed a trip without getting sick, but no such luck.

Could be the mix of germs in the planes air on the way back. lots of passengers carrying what all they picked up and passing it on via t he air cond, toilet handels, ect.

Archived