Internet censure in Thailand

Falang

If you hunch is right, and if "the hoard of young geeks scouring for "Bad" web sites over at ICT Min" are checking nightlife oriented sites for information on bars that are staying open or showing - I'd have thought Thailand has better ways to spend taxpayer money and bigger problems right now, but then no one listens to my advice anyway - then there is not a damn thing we can do. This sort of information is now so readily available on so many other sites that they could easily find it elsewhere if we stopped posting that information here.

Now here is something interesting about accessing some of the more popular adult oriented sites that will probably appeal to members here: I am pretty lame when it comes to computer technology, but even I can access certain sites when I stay in a certain upscale hotel and use their internet connection. (That should be vague enough.) If this is deliberate, it is a rather strange double-standard, but not entirely inconsistent with other policies. I don't think it is news to anyone - including the "young geeks" at the ICT - that clubs and discos in certain towns that cater mostly to tourists (how much vaguer could I get?) are much more relaxed about closing hours and showing than the Big Mango.

Is it an issue of control (as in the central gov's ability to excercise control outside of Bangkok is limited) or a deliberate policy?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<< I'd have thought Thailand has better ways to spend taxpayer money and bigger problems right now>>

But they do it ffor FREEEEE it's a voluneer organisation! Even worse huh,

<<This sort of information is now so readily available on so many other sites that they could easily find it elsewhere if we stopped posting that information here. >>

Re Hotels, they use magi net, all internet in Thailand goes through in theory the same central network, I have a map, as does KS, of how and who runs and has howmuch bandwidth etc.

Not sure how they escape censure unless maginet has a agreement?

DOG

Ultrasurf still works fine for me - sometimes will not get to one site or other, after all you're going thru a proxy which is never as reliable as the more direct route, but still... does work nicely and no install, free etc.

I can't get to that link either - was surprised before when i got the program.. but some minor googling along the lines of "ultrasurf" tucows, nonags, freeware etc etc should get you thru to a download of it. Or else email a friend in the free world..

coops

Was last year, I named some bars showing, here - do a search and then FARK, they closed, much booing from the crowd aimed at me for tipping of the MiB.

Think about why this web site. It is probably the most successful and easiest to view web site about Thailand nightlife.

They DO have a hoard of young geeks scouring for "Bad" web sites over at ICT Min, remember sadly I know the people there quite well.

Adding to my earlier comment, they don't need geeks or to even access the web. BK Magazine, which is given away free all over Bangkok, listed the "best" after-hours club. They not only listed the place, but they gave its street address and telephone numer.

When this sort of information is so readily available in freebie magazines available everywhere in Bangkok, I have hard time seeing what difference it makes if the information is posted on this site.

While I think this is a good site, I don't think the MiB rely on it for information. They already know what is happening where and when. Indeed, they own many, if not most, of the places that are open after hours or showing.

I will give you an example, go to the Ministry of Commerce website MOC Website , check the company information on the owner of what is often considered the best bar on Soi Cowboy for shows, and look at the titles (police ranks) in front of the directors of that company. You'll need to read Thai (which I suspect the Thai MiB can do), but the information is all there.

i recently found out some very bad news from a friend in thailand, that local ISPs have blocked poker sites, meaning my plan to spend 2-3 months in Thailand without losing money has been axed until we figure out a way to log on to our site.

Proxy servers don't really work as losing connection can be really costly.

hopefully we'll come up with something.

just use torpark. you can get anywhere from anywhere, even from countries more repressive than thailand like china:

http://torpark.nfshost.com/

it's a modified version of Firefox, and it works like VPN, creates a virtual tunnel through several (always changing) servers around the globe; you surf through that tunnel. you don't even install it on the computer on which you're using it, it runs right off the .exe file, so you can take it to e-mail shops with you on a USB.

preahko

Archived