Internet censure in Thailand

Falang

CCTVs in bathrooms. I have a vague recollection of some scandal here a few years back involving this. But no big lawsuits.

Ever try to get affectionate with a TG in an elevator? The first thing they do is look around for the camera they are certain is somewhere in the elevator.

Although it would never make the news, I can easily imagine this - or better - happening in Thailand:

The traffic camera featured on Comcast Cable's Channel 45 was showing more than just traffic early Friday -- it was following people on the Strip. The Crimson White learned at about 1:45 a.m. Friday that the traffic camera at the intersection of University Boulevard and Reed Street, which usually remains stationary, was panning, tilting and zooming in on people and objects along the Strip. The Strip camera operator(s) manipulated the camera to zoom in on several college-aged women's breasts and buttocks as they walked down the street.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is possible that posting such information on the internet creates a "face" issue where it is hard to deny that certain things happen. But if that is true, there is not much this site can do since that information is readily available from other sites.
On the face issue, I recall reading years ago there was a site on the p4p scene (I think it was by a company called TSM) that gave Thailand a great deal of unwanted attention in this area, and a senior Thai official wrote to the "president of the internet" (presumably the naming authority) to complain about this particular site. The organization he wrote to had to write back explaining there was no such thing as a president of the internet. It was early days for the internet, but the article was still a hoot.

[Note to lurking graduate student: try searching for "Travel and the Single Man"]

<<But I think the discussion over whether "people who influence policy" read this site concerned posting the names of bars that show or stay open late. I seriously doubt that the MiB need information from this board to figures those things out. They know this stuff already. >>

While i mostly agree there have been 2 occassions when a bar was named here showing, and then that night closed!

Given the bars had been showing for a week or more, seems odd coincidence!

Also if it is, (and it is) a large group of tudents, why not get them to read these sites, makes sence and easier way to "Find" sites

DOG

The TSM site was offering sex tours to Thailand. What really did them in was that the webmaster linked his site to the Tourism Organisation of Thailand! When the TOT found that out, the fit hit the shan. Ended up with the owner of TSM -- or at least the guy who wrote their books and led the tours here -- was "permanently banned" from entering the country.

While i mostly agree there have been 2 occassions when a bar was named here showing, and then that night closed!
Since the bar owners pay the MiB for the privilege of operating their businesses and the ability to stay open later, I am not sure why they would need this site to figure out what is going in the bars.

Further, other sites carry this information. Why would the MiB pick this particular site for that information? Indeed, this site probably has less of that sort of information than other sites, since the members here spend more time discussing and arguing about non-nightlife issues (I am one of the bigger offenders) than most other Bangkok nightlife oriented sites I have seen. I can't recall ever seeing a discussion about the pros and cons of opening up Thailand's property market on any other nightlife oriented site.

And I am also curious; what were the "2 occassions when a bar was named here showing, and then that night closed" - that is, which bars (if they were already closed, no harm in mentioning it now) and when? I am not challenging you on this, but I have never seen this specific claim made before, and now I am curious on the specifics.

<<And I am also curious; what were the "2 occassions when a bar was named here showing, and then that night closed" - that is, which bars (if they were already closed, no harm in mentioning it now) and when? I am not challenging you on this, but I have never seen this specific claim made before, and now I am curious on the specifics. >>

Was last year, I named some bars showing, here - do a search and then FARK, they closed, much booing from the crowd aimed at me for tipping of the MiB.

Think about why this web site. It is probably the most successful and easiest to view web site about Thailand nightlife.

They DO have a hoard of young geeks scouring for "Bad" web sites over at ICT Min, remember sadly I know the people there quite well.

Wouldn;t it be easy as a young geek to monitor 1 web site than try and find all the other "new" websites? Drop by here every few days to see "Whats new?"

I also remember when I did out the bars a poster saying he'd seen (a regular reliable poster) MiB walking around with web page printouts.

DOG

Archived