Torrent problems

khunsanuk

Hi,

I'm almost finished downloading a 4Gb torrent file, with the exception of 2 pieces. These 2 keep downloading over and over again and consistently rejected.

There are however 143 seeds with the complete torrent.

Has anyone run into something similar and if so, do you know how to solve this?

Sanuk!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like something missing in the file you are trying to d'load.

They have a header and a footer in the file, maybe a checksum, so something is not matching and you may be stuck in this loop forever.

Options: start over as the header may have been corrupt?

What are you d'loading? can you source it locally?

Media companies have been deliberately sabotaging torrent downloads by creating multiple fake seeds with bad data. People downloading get the problem you describe, pieces of data constantly being rejected, but the bad seeders don't get banned, or if they do there are hundreds more to take their place. The few genuine seeders get swamped by the fakers.

The solution is to download and install ProtoWall and BlockList Manager. ProtoWall blocks any IP connections from known bad addresses (defined in BlockList Manager) including all media companies. The downside is that you can't connect to any website on the blocked list while ProtoWall is running.

http://www.bluetack.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=13

http://www.bluetack.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=14

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

I'm almost finished downloading a 4Gb torrent file, with the exception of 2 pieces. These 2 keep downloading over and over again and consistently rejected.

There are however 143 seeds with the complete torrent.

Has anyone run into something similar and if so, do you know how to solve this?

Sanuk!

KS, How long did it take to Download 4Gb. I have just downloaded one episode of the Soprano's (6) that was 350 MB and that took about 36 hours on True, at that rate if I was to try 4Gb i would be well and truly off the planet before finishing. Mind you I did get it finished and enjoyable watching it was too.

4GB takes like 8-16 hours over here, depending on what you are downloading.

If anybody has a request for a download they would really like, I could see about downloading it and burning it to cds before my trip to thailand in about 20 days. :)

I'm busy with schoolwork (finals are coming up soon) and all my bandwidth is going to waste. :o

Hi,

It didn't take that long actually if I discount the time it took to get the last block that kept being rejected. I think it took about 25-30 hrs maybe.

Speed depends a LOT on the amount of seeders / peers and their connection speed though. This torrent kept a very high average download rate (~50-60Kbyte/sec, with spikes up to 90+).

On average I'd say I can download 1Gb overnight.

This is also using True, btw, 1Mbit connection.

Sanuk!

PS I could not get those last 2 blocks, so cancelled and got another torrent. This one kept rejected 1 block, but I did finally get that block to download. Installed the game (Oblivion) and it is very cool, but even on the lowest setting (all graphics settings to low, 640x480 res) it is still very slow. Recommended system is Pentium 4, 4GHz or something obscene like that :(

Archived