Thai turbo learning

buffalo_bill

dog ,

I have been looking into the Pimsleur case today and would tend to think it a very good system. what I want is now a small device that I can carry with me and run a tape or whatever forwards and backwards . now that is what they seem to offer , you put a kind of card like the ones in digital cameras into a little something and life is beautiful. What I did not figure so far is into what they put this card finally . does anybody here have a clue about that ? would be important that it can be run backwards to repeat what has been said .

BuBi

I don't even understand the radio in my car and now this .

Kuhn BuBi,

I know there are memory cards available (SD cards?) with Pimsleur stuff on them, but if you get the CDs you just need to play them on a Discman or something. Or you can rip them to .mp3 files on your PC and play them on an .mp3 player.

SD cards can be shoved in various PDA's like Dell Axims etc.

I was looking at the German Amazon today (no, not Frau Merkel) and the Pimsleur prices look pretty high, although I don't speak German and there may have been cheaper options than the ridiculous 347(!) Euros initially listed.

I may well be in Bangers in May/June, so if you're around and can drag yourself away from your honey we can attempt to have a sophisticated Thai conversation together (out of earshot of any Thais).

Bif

Mr Bif ,

your appearance is a milestone in my life I have to admit ; although pse be aware that my knowledge of IT related matters stops at the time when they used flashing lights from watchtower to watchtower in Prussia to keep in contact with the armies . I printed your last piece with your kind permission and have it translated this very morning by a friend of mine into something I understand and can later buy somewhere . Price no matter , Isaan expenses will be more dramatic . but then , hopefully , I can swear in Thai .

BuBi

I shall be around the area from May the 19th onwards and duely send you a note in time .

I got a share file of the pimsleur course and I didnt think it was very good. MY girl said its not actually the way thai people speak. It seemed really formal.

There are many cheaper options and better ones than this.

I saw one the other dayon thaivisa.com underlanguage. Its the banner add under the language section on the forum.

Its an audio file with over 8000 audio files on cds and its got a booklet with it i think. It was about 34 dollars. Seemed good.

Also there is learn-thai-podcast.com which is good for beginners,good luck anyway.

Samak ,

I do actually prefer something like :

" Madame , if your time allows , may I enjoy the priviledge to have you with me without towel and knickers for a second of your precious time ? "

Sounds at least somewhat more romantic than :

" Time to fuck honey " .

If you get my drift

BuBi

junglesoup said:

I got a share file of the pimsleur course and I didnt think it was very good. MY girl said its not actually the way thai people speak. It seemed really formal.

There are many cheaper options and better ones than this.

Its an audio file with over 8000 audio files on cds and its got a booklet with it i think. It was about 34 dollars. Seemed good.

Jungle,

It's much better to be too formal than risk being rude and abrupt until one knows more about the target language, I think.

No question there are cheaper options around (and how!) but better? 8,000 audio files for $34.00 sounds good, but would be a net loss of $34.00 if the user got nowhere with it.

I'm currently on lesson 15 of the 30 lesson Pimsleur and for the first time in my life I'm almost exclusively checking tones on my (PDA) Thai-English dictionary rather than just looking up definitions. That's progress for me and I'm pleased about it.

Bif

Yeah thats a good point Bif. The pronounciation is important. ANd not being rude.

But one other program that I forgot to mention and I ve used and has good reports is the Benjawan Poomsan Becker. It comes with audio cds and has beginner package,intermediate and advanced.

They concentrate on tones, dialogue and building an all round vocab along with learning the alphabet.

Can buy it online I think,and at most shops in bangkok. Good value again and it is good IMH0.

good luck,

chris.

Archived