Thai turbo learning

buffalo_bill

Gentlemen ,

as already mentioned elsewhere , I am currently involved in an innocent love affair with a Korat citizen who unfortunately does not speak any German , English or Portuguese whilst I do not speak any Thai . Wurk bah fai munt . We play with a joint pool of words covering about 10 units , two of which are Baht and condom . So far no prombrem but it might be different once we hit Kant's thoughts about Machiavelli or the relativity theory .

In a similar situation , or exactly the same respectively , I bought a dictionary german / portuguese , selected about 400 words which i thought most important and wrote them into a private little dictionary which I did always carry on me learning a minimum of 7 words a day . worked beautifully , with grammar I delt at a later date . Actually never .

Question for the community :

Is there a dictionary English -> Thai that offers a reasonably working explanation how to pronounce the words ? Preferably available somewhere in Europe because in 5 weeks I am oficially invited to inspect the farm . I would also in emergency consider a learning course with tape , but that should be better than the one from the Bangkok Post which I already acquired but find it not very convenient . Over to you.

BuBi

What means champagne-cooler in Thai for example .

Bill,

If I were you with five weeks to learn I'd get hold of the Pimsleur Thai audio program. Expensive, but if you want to learn to pronounce properly, tones and all, that's the way to go.

You're in Thailand now? Not likely to find it in the local library I guess. I've just bought the new 30 lesson version, but there's a 10 lesson one, too. If you have the dough, buy the 30 lesson from Amazon or somewhere.

Ahem, I don't know if torrenting is legal in LOS, but my spies inform me the 10 lesson version is around.

Do one lesson per day -no more- and you'll soon be dreaming in Thai albeit with a limited but rapid-fire vocabulary.

I plan to post a report on the whole program in about 22 days when I've finished lesson 30. I hope.

Again, it's expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Bif

I learnt my Thai in ASutralia, 300 baht an hour one on one with a nice Thai student who taught me as per my wish "Baby" thai, "I want" "Whats that" How Much" Etc, workedd a charm!

Maybe in Germany you do the same?

Just wish I could find someone to teach me Ingleesh at the same rate

DOG

McBif ,

just come back from the local university , Asian laguages department . They warned me to exercise my own pronouciation which I took from someone's dictionary and got it wrong . I will have a go with your Pimsleur audio thing . I am in Germany at the moment but at least Amazon would have it . I have no illusion to learn Thai in 5 weeks by the way , but within 6 months should be ok . Matter of discipline really like giving up smoking . Many thanks for your help , maybe in a few months we could talk Thai to each other . " McBif you pay bah ? "

BuBi

Archived