Racism

khunsanuk

As a few have allready pointed out, most if not all of us are racist to a degree. There is a certain group of people back in the U.K that i cant stand and have no problem admiting it, but not directly.

What bugs me about the Thais? They wear there racisim on there sleeves, especialy with felangs. That pisses me. The group of people i dont like back in the U.K for example... i would never make my feelings clear to them, i would just show indiference. The Thais are one extreme or the other though; they either make it painfully clear they dont like felangs/black skin issan etc OR they smile, pat you on the back, offer you a free drink and a bite to eat AND THEN make there feelings clear to each other. If you speak Thai and make out you dont, you will see this.

IMO, they are either too obvious with there racisim, or very two faced. That stinks.

In my country, you cant even hang our national flag of England, the Cross Of St.George, from you window during the world cup or the police will threaten arrest. And if you sport a St.George t shirt whilst walking through Blackburn, Bolton, or parts of East London, you are in danger of being locked up. Why? Because it insights racist violence, apparently. In LOS, they have no problem showing adverts, movies, music videos of 'honest hardworking Thais Vs evil, drunk, lazy felang'. I personaly feel like i cant win.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be accurate, the poll would have to have many conditions to it. For example, prejudice/racism is mixed with the class structure in Thailand. Thais who know where I work and what I do treat me with a great deal of courtesy and respect. Those to whom I am simply "another Farang" may well not do so. My position with the first group clearly placed me socially equal to or even above them. With those who don't know me, I automatically fall into an Untermensch status by virtue of simply NOT being Thai.

>However, for me, I think the reason for that is economic and not about not liking westerners. They emulate the west.

yes, but this fact--emulation of the west--doesn't preclude racism against westerners. look at the certain ways that certain blacks--pop stars, athletes--are idolized in the west, by many of the same whites who are otherwise quite racist. black speech is also copied--at least in the US--by many groups: whites, hispanics, southeast asians--who otherwise hate blacks. george carlin once said something to the effect of: "put a black kid, an italian kid, an irish kid and an hispanic kid on a street corner, and within 15 minutes they'll all be talking like the black kid"

and there's an example of this right here in thailand: dark-skinned isaan people are definitely looked down upon by central thais, yet at the same time their food and music are considered hip, and it's also now considered cool to insert certain lao expressions into one's speech (albeit in a quasi-mocking way often)...

so racism is a complex issue. you can hate the people, and still emulate certain aspects of their culture. that said, I do agree there's an "economic imbalance" element to thais' treatment of westerns. but there's definite racism there too. you can take someone's money without saying some of the derogatory things they say about us every day (assuming we all can't understand).

preahko

I completely agree with your post. What I was trying to get accross in my post is that for me personally, the dynamics are a little different. Thais are racist against me because they lump me in with all westerners..specifically white westerners. Not only that they view me as rich by their standards.

It doesnt' make it right, but compared to the states where its specifically because i'm black and seen as inferior to some, its not nearly as big a personal issue for me.

Yes, they do see non white westerners a rung or two lower on the desirable scale compartively but at the end of the day, I'm a rich westerner which is far better than what I'm used to back home. I can deal with that a lot better.

I would disagree that being seen as gullible or stupid is seen as inferior.

If I scammed Rupert Murdoch out of a million dollars, or sold him my company for far more than he should have paid, I'd see him as stupid and gullible but not inferior. There is a difference.

Archived