Racism

khunsanuk

"USCS section of the US Embassy 10 days" - Ask S___, if he knows if any companies have actually obtained an Alien Business Certificate (you don't get a license when you apply under the treaty) lately. Incidentally, the best source of information on actual status is the Economic Section of the Embassy; the USCS is part of the US Commerce Department. If you got a business card, take a look at it.

They may be processing the applications on the US side (basically certifying that a company qualifies as an "American Company" under the Amity Treaty), but they are going nowhere at the Ministry of Commerce. This is going to be an even bigger mess if the FTA negotiations don't get back on track.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do agree that the work permit situation is shitty. But I think it a stretch that this ancient method is anything but government run amok versus a concerted racist effort.
It is government run amok and it is ancient, but the xenophobia (I won't use the word racism here because I do think this is slightly different) is one of the biggest impediments to fixing the problem. And, as you say, other countries in the region have gotten better while Thailand has stayed the same.

In any event, the part about Yosmite was about racism; the part about San Francisco and Shanghai was about sourcing skilled labour outside of your own country is necessary to become a prosperous international city. (My post was a bit unclear on this.)

Guest lazyphil

I'll give you a good example of the complete opposite england is to los, my mrs being a cambridge resident gets into kings college chapel (and other historical places on the tourist agenda) free when the next person (ENGLISH!!) could live outside the 12 mile radius for free entry and pay 4 pounds or whatever it is.....goes so beyond thai thinking it would give them a migraine if they actually gave it any thought!

suadum said:

That was not an option. "They are servants or garee and are from Issan!! I *cannot* talk to them!" she told me. I was shocked, as I had not seen her be racist before nor even act better than anyone else. But we were always around people of her social strata, so it never came up. And she explained that she did not dislike them, but this was simply not done for Thai people. As you said, not trying to be evil, but that was the way she learned social skills.

Sounds borderline social elitarism to me and not racism..... IMO of course.

BB

Guest lazyphil

SD, my Mrs being 'Central Thai' Mon (the longest inhabitants of LOS) might just bring herself to speak to chinese newcomers if they prove themselves to be worthy of her time :)

Actually, it could well be racist as well. If I am not mistaken, Thais are sort of divided along ethnic lines. The Chinese Thais seem to claim the upper echalon according to some. The lighter Issarn people claim another status, and the darker ones tend to get the bottom...so I would say, depending on ones ethnic make up etc, the ideas/opinions/atitudes could be influenced by the ethnic traits involved on both sides...

I remember a Chinese Thai woman here (so she claimed) telling me "...why do you guys like the Issaarn women? they are all so ugly, and all whores...they are like the black people here..." Pretty fucked up thought process...

Racism is making oneself feel bigger by putting someone else down lower on the ladder in one?s mind?s eye because that someone is identifiably different in some way .. colour of their skin, shape of their eyes, their religion.

e.g.

?I may be white trash, but at least I?m not black or a Jew or a Moslem?

- dehumanizing others, making them objects rather than real people.

It?s a tribal thing too. ?I may be insignificant as an individual, but I?m strong because I belong to this larger group? - giving one a sense of belonging by excluding others.

In both instances, the racist is displaying an inferiority complex. They don?t know who they are (they need others to tell them who they are); they haven?t got their shit together to stand on the ground on their own two feet as individuals, without the need of a ladder to make them feel superior.

It?s a worldwide psychological condition. No single race, nationality, or religion can say it doesn?t exist in their society.

Some Thais hate Chinese, Cambodians, Farangs and dark skinned Issarnites and vv.

Some Malays hate Chinese and Thais and vv.

Some Catholics hate Protestants in Northern Ireland and vv.

Some Jews hate Arabs and vv.

Some Hindus hate Moslems and Christians and vv.

Even the peace loving Bhutanese in Shangrila discriminate against Nepalese!

If someone discriminates against you it?s the racist who has the problem, not you.

My hope is that one day racism will be consigned to the trashcan of history along with other anachronisms like slavery and feeding Christians to the lions.

:beer:

Archived