What exactly does Guest Friendly Mean?

Guest friendly places I have stayed at include the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, the JW Marriott and the Intercontinental. In my experience there was no need to book a double/twin, register my companion(s) or for them to show ID at any of these places. The girls were able to come and go as they wished and were never hassled by hotel staff, regardless of whether I was with them or not.

Regards,

KF

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rchapstick said:

Tim

You can add the Westin Grande Sukhumvit to the list as well.

Manhattan deiniately does not charge a joiner fee if booking a double, but definately does if booking a single.

BTW, thanks for sponsering the board.

Westin Grande now added to the list on the website. Cheers for the remark about sponsering it, happy to help in any way I can.

Tim

shygye said:

What about hotels the don't have a joiner fee for 1 gal but does for 2+ gals? :dunno:

This is difficult to say. As Double/Twin is normally strictly for 2 people. However sometimes security and front office staff will turn a blind eye, sometimes they wont.

The general rule is serviced apartments will be more flexible than hotels.

Cheers

Tim

Ahhh, the gremlins appear to have eaten my previous post.

Apologies if this shows up twice.

Tim,

Just a suggestion but on your web site along with listing premises that are guest friendly if you book a double/twin why not also list those premises where you can bring a companion or companions without explicitly booking a double/twin? Assuming of course that said premises can be booked through your web site.

Personally speaking I have a preference for accommodation where I don't have to book a double in order to bring someone back. There are nights where I may come home alone perhaps because I've had too much to drink or I've spent a long, long day at work or whatever. Then there are nights where I find company and nights where company finds me. I would expect that there are many people who travel for both pleasure and business who prefer to go with the flow and would like to avoid both paying for underutilised double occupancy and arguments with hotel staff over joiner fees, additional charges etc.

Regards,

KF

are there hotels where you can book a single or a suite and still not get charged the joiner fee ? Also as a curiosity whats the average joiners fee ?

busto

In the early years money was tight. We (and anther farang) traveled to Thailand and lodged at hotel and took only one room. Two beds. Long before I heard the term guest friendly. Never had a problem with 4 people in room (two gals).

Except first night, first trip. Taxi heading towards Bangkok with the two of us rookie farangs in back seat. We mentioned the word "girls" and the taxi driver immediately turned the cab and showed us some places with gals to take away. After picking two gals, we mentioned "hotel" and off the taxi driver took us to a hotel. So there I was at the front desk of this hotel, and behind me were the two gals, friend, and taxi driver lined up.

The hotel clerk kept saying "too many people for one room". And my response, over and over, was: "The taxi driver is not staying in room with us". "Just four people". It was late, hotel gave in, and the four of us stayed in one room with two beds.

And since then we do each get a room. And there has never been a problem with bringing gals back. From real high end hotels to low end. We ultimately settled on medium priced hotel likes the Dynasty or Nana.

But times do change I guess.

Kite_Flyer said:

Ahhh, the gremlins appear to have eaten my previous post.

Apologies if this shows up twice.

Tim,

Just a suggestion but on your web site along with listing premises that are guest friendly if you book a double/twin why not also list those premises where you can bring a companion or companions without explicitly booking a double/twin? Assuming of course that said premises can be booked through your web site.

Personally speaking I have a preference for accommodation where I don't have to book a double in order to bring someone back. There are nights where I may come home alone perhaps because I've had too much to drink or I've spent a long, long day at work or whatever. Then there are nights where I find company and nights where company finds me. I would expect that there are many people who travel for both pleasure and business who prefer to go with the flow and would like to avoid both paying for underutilised double occupancy and arguments with hotel staff over joiner fees, additional charges etc.

Regards,

KF

KIteFlyer,

Thanks for your advice. Indeed I have thought the same as you. Sometimes yuo just go with the flow,and see where life takes you.

However most hotels even the most flexible and openly guest friendly will charge if a single room is booked and a guest joins you. Also it might have something to do with the fact that some hotels' single and twin/double prices are not the same. The only exceptions I can think about are Majestic Suites, where yuo get only 1 ABF, and The infamous Nana Hotel. Anymore from fellow sanukers welcome

Tim

You know what would be really helpful? A list of hotels that will treat our Thai wives -- sometimes young Isaan ladies -- with respect. There are many plusses and minuses about spending time in Thailand but nothing gets my blood boiling like being challenged at the hotel elevator in precisely the same way as a john and his hooker would be at a guest-unfriendly hotel.

Archived