Would you move to Malaysia for this salary?

monkey39

liquidflux said:

65% is a big cut. Too big if you ask me.

If you were making a shit salary like me, then it might be worth it. 4000 USD a month is a lot to give up. Personally I'd stick it out in the states, enjoy a few weeks vacation in SEA every year, and put the extra money towards an early retirement.

Big picture wise, 6 years in a company is nothing. Few years down the road, with the added experience, you'll have a lot more leverage to hook up a real fat cat expat package, which IMO is what you should be aiming for if you want to move.

This is sort of the view I'm starting to take on this whole deal. I was excited about moving when I was first asked, but I began to have doubts when I heard the salary range and started crunching the numbers. 5 years ago I probably would have jumped at it without too much concerns, but now I'm not sure if a big paycut is the right move for me. On the other hand, the Asia-Pacific region is one of the fastest growing markets for my company, so I can see promotions coming a lot quicker than they would for me in the States. Don't know, have to balance my future financial security against a calculated risk. ::

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nervous_Dog said:

If your plan is to move to this area, or Thailand, do it, I did the same, but for a salery increase, from Aust to Taiwan, a few years later to Bangkok.

Easier!

DOG

Wish this was the case for me! Would be a MUCH easier decision!

I did manage to visit Penang in April at my company's expense. Still prefer Thailand to Malaysia, but Penang was a pretty cool little island...I could definitely see myself living there. Too bad my company doesn't have any large facilities in Thailand. Anyway, one of my main reasons for even entertaining this move idea was to bring my closer to LOS, but not sure if the salary will give enough to play around. I think it would give me a decent living in Penang, but wouldn't save that much.

don't worry too much what your company ought to be doing for you in ways of promotion whatever, but more how you see yourself in the future being based in asia.

overseas expat transfers don't come easy for us 'junieor' workers with some 5-7 years profesional experience & few if any management experience.

but being suddenly based in asia with 'any' salary should enable all sorts of opportunities much more so than hunting from overseas.

of course if one is willing to wait until the 'right' expat package presents itself then one might wait forever...

clearly a 65% paycut can't be overlooked, but IME this seems pretty much in line what can be expected. this is indeed not the salary a local malaysian would be paid, but more like the salary the malaysian office figures is enough to get a good western guy without having to pay a huge surcharge.

good luck

I'd be tempted to explore it and use it solely as a way of getting into the region.

I think a lot depends on what exposure that position would have to outside customers/suppliers? I can think of heaps of firms in Singapore that often poach staff away from other companies who they have come across through work. If it has external exposure, I'd consider it as a stepping stone - if it has no external exposure, I would pass.

Cheers

ThaiHome said:

Any self respecting MNC will offer uplifts for working overseas, not a 65% pay cut. It sounds like they are offering you a local position.

This sounds like an insult offer to show you what they think of you.

TH

his employer is my customer! they probably treat employees and suppliers the same way! thanks god i have other customers!

Monkey:

Stop fucking around. If you don't like the salary offer, than get in there and make a counteroffer. Figure out what your bottom line is then go ask for 20% more than that (leaves them some room to counter yours).

Whatever their final offer is, the other factor you have to consider is: where is your career with this company going if you stay put?

Honestly, I would double check the terms of the offer and see if there is a housing and automobile stipend. If not, I would take the offer as an insult and let them know in no uncertain terms.

Where is the upside for you uprooting yourself to work on the other side of the world? The promise of faster rise up the ladder? Puhhllease. Promises promises.

<<burp>>

Archived