Would you move to Malaysia for this salary?

monkey39

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted 'No' because there was no option for "Are you freaking kidding?"

Sure, SEA is a great place; but if you're working here it's not the same as visiting on vacation a couple of times. The first time you start catching sh!t from your customer or boss that measly salary is going to start looking worse by the minute.

I was lucky that my company gave me a 25% raise, company provided automobile and company paid housing to come over to this region. This region also has great opportunities within the company to move up so my decision was a no-brainer.

If my company offered me the same position but at a 65% pay cut just because they think everyone wants to live here; I probably would have laughed right in their faces.

Like I said, I absolutley love living in this part of the world. I've lived in Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia but I would have kept my ass in the States if it meant a 65% pay cut.

I would NOT take the job.

65% is too much of a cut, plus it is Penang, although nice it is not exactly the centre of the universe.

I would stick to putting some more years under your belt career (AND money wise!) back in the old US of A. IF it is such a great idea for your company to relocate you again then similar offers / opportunities WILL arise again - but I would never take a job based on purely the hope that it would offer "career opportunuties" - especially in an enviroment where you do not talk the lingo how the f#ck are you going to be able to stab anyone in the back to climb over their dead bodies? :) (and of course you will be Mr Foreigner is a country that tends towards "looking after their own".........

Career Opportunities AND cash, sure!! - but not on their own - remember that the best reference you can ever have for a NEW employer........is your last salary. At your stage of career you need to be going up and NOT coasting down (at your employers expense ::

The reason why many older farang do have their lives sorted out in the LOS, ESPECIALLY FINANCIALLY is that they have put in the hard work over many years (or were lucky with a pin!). Not always a shortcut I am afraid............

Having said all that IF you reckon that you could get back into the US job market easily (even if not at your current employer) if you decided that Penang is not for you, then maybe go for it, as "international experiance" can look good on a CV (and can be dressed up, if needed!).

Well, the offer came about because I had previously mentioned that I would be interested in moving overseas. It's not really a case of "the company absolutely needs me there," but one of fitting my stated preference to a situation that would be, in general, a net benefit to the company. Not sure if my bargaining position is too strong here, but I haven't received a firm offer yet, so we'll see what happens.

monkey39 said:

Well, the offer came about because I had previously mentioned that I would be interested in moving overseas. It's not really a case of "the company absolutely needs me there," but one of fitting my stated preference to a situation that would be, in general, a net benefit to the company. Not sure if my bargaining position is too strong here, but I haven't received a firm offer yet, so we'll see what happens.

Dude, if you really want to go, then treat this as a job interview. Sell yourself. Be a bit cocky. Tell them why you are the best guy to go. Sell it.

Then tell them you'll only go for your current salary (try to get housing and home leave allowances too, but you can always back off to give them something). Make sure they understand that it is deeper than salary. It is about value for money. Sure they can hire a local guy for cheap, but how much is he gonna cost them in training, mistakes and low productivity while he gets up to speed. Most studies say that that is at least one year. And what if he never does? You are a proven entity and the safe choice. And an old truth in Asia is that if there are decisions to be made, especially hard or unpopular ones, then an expat is best for the job. Locals just do not do that well.

Already being employed there, you have the resources to analyze just how you would help the company and how this is worth your being sent there. Tell them you are not asking for a raise, just your same salary, and show how you would be better than a local guy being promoted or a new hire.

Nothing worthwhile is easy. If you want it, be proactive!

Cheers,

SD

Actually, it sounds to me like the company doesn't actually need an expat there, but are trying to accomodate him because he's stated he wants to work abroad.

Under those circumstances I seriously doubt any expat package is going to be forthcoming.

I have to agree with some other posters suadum. He would look at bit daft to go in gunning for his current salary and extras when they offered him at 65% paycut. Most companies would never consider doing this to begin with offering someone a huge paycut to go overseas (or I'm just out to lunch).

The point is given their offer that he can't get a good deal. They didn't even offer him what he had, and so where is the possibility of bargaining for something better than that? I just don't see it. Bad situation.

Cheers,

the_numbers

But what's the worst that they can say? No? They certainly would not fire him for being agressive in getting ahead, would they? Therefore, what I recommend is hardly a risk, eh?

IMHO, corporates today take full advantage of the passivity of most employees and walk all over them easily. But if GWBs published 4.7% unemployment rate in the US is for real, the employee is actually in control and can write his own ticket cuz there is no one available to replace him.#

Besides, if I had an employee showing that kind of initiative, regardless of if he was tilting at windmills, I would at least remember him in a favourable light when future positions come to be. And I have walked that talk in my past postings.

So I say just do it. But hey, this is just IMHO. YMMV. Some guys have the balls/initiative to climb the ladder quickly and some just let promotions happen as they happen. "Up to you" as the Thais say.

Cheers,

SD

# = since wages are not rising, that goes against free market economic principles and therefore I have my doubts that this is the *real* unemployment figure; but that is immaterial to this discussion.

Point taken... I guess it is the nothing ventured nothing lost mentality :dunno: I normally subscribe to this, but given this situation it just seems bleak to me.

I've certainly demanded more when I was asked to move for a job, alot more actually and got most of it including air tickets home, stipends for travel, but I was not working under an initial offer of taking all my salary away.. sorry 65%. I guess I just can't imagine that situation or considering such an offer. May not be the case but this is almost like someone asking me to quit in my mind.

Maybe I'm not the right person to ask because I would've said to the whoever is running the show straight away, "Are you kidding?" Yet he seems to want the job so maybe its better to take SD's advice.

Best,

the numbers

Archived