Nationality / ticketing / passport question.

FAT_AUSSIE

I have a possible situation on my hands in the coming months, I'am quite sure it's no biggy but I thought I'd post just to gain persective from someone who may have been in this situation or have some knowledge about it.

My wife and my daughter will be coming to Australia for a while and I am a little concerned. They will fly from BKK to Adelaide airport, South Australia via SIN. My daughter is an Australian citizen by decent, born in Thailand. Given that she has an Australian passport she has every right to enter Australia, but on the flip side when she departs ADL for Thailand given that she will be departing using the return and final leg of her ticket could anyone here see any issues with Singapore airlines allowing her to depart Australia?

I got caught out once before, (I allways book my flights BKK-Aust and return) I had my wife with me, she was about 5 to 6 months pregenant, they allowed my to board allthough it was a lot of fast talking and a fresh pair of undies by the time we pulled it off.

That was me, I am an Australian. My daughter is Thai, allthough with an Australian PPT.

End of the day, end of her stay, my daughter must leave the country with my wife.

shygye said:

Can't your daughter also get a Thai passport?

FA may want to do that for his daughter. Oterwise, there is at least the potential for problems with Thai immigration as a farang overstay. Happened to my ex who was definitely a product of Isaan when she went back for an extended stay using her U.S. passport.

Also, when wife and daughter leave Oz, there may be an issue of establishing that it is okay with FA if he isn't traveling with them. That's due to very real concern about international child abduction.

Aye. My daughters come into Thailand on their Thai passport and they use their Yank passports for most other countries as it is more convenient (no visas needed).

FA, regarding the original question, it seems to be an issue with SQ in Oz. Maybe fly TG instead as it is not an issue with them.

Cheers,

SD

Thanks for the advice guys.

Agreed the Thai PPT would be the cure all, allthough we did'nt think about it and now we have insufficient time to get one.

TG would be my wifes preference, direct flight, Thai food, and Thai speaking hosties would all make my wife and daughters journey alot more comfortable. Problem is I'm in Adelaide, South Australia and at the best we only have three international carriers to choose from. JAL, Singa & Malaysian airlines, none direct.

When you do the math, SQ is the best choice. She could fly direct to Melbourne or Sydney with Thai then transit on a domestic, allthough my wife indicated she would like me to fly there to meet her then fly back to Adelaide with her. I would rather they just fly with SQ via Singa then lob in my backyard. lest she'll gain some experience travelling without me (first time).

I guess I should stop being a lazy bugger and contact the Thai consulate in Adelaide, customs etc. I think I saw somewhere that a child can remain in the Kingdom without a visa as long as that child is no older than seven years (but not sure). As far as allowing my daughter to leave Aus without me, thanks for highlighting that point. I may need some form of notorised authorisation for my wife to depart with my daughter.

Once again, thanks for the feedback guys.

FA...

à helped a TG living in Sweden to ask for tourist visa for her 2 children with just swedish passports some years ago as they stayed more than 30 days in Thailand. The embassy replied that thais regardless of citizenship can stay in Thailand as long as they want. I think it's based on a speech by HM the King some years ago stating that all with a thai mother or father are thais and citizenships and passports are not important.

Well you'd think so, or at least like to.

I got onto the consulate here in Adelaide, South Australia. Basicly it's like this. Without a Thai passport I am headded for trouble. I have yet to contact SIA and enquire about my daughter being permitted to board a plane on an Ausie PPT without a return ticket.

The consulate advised me that it would be very unlikly the carrier will allow her to board, they also told me that even though she is born in Thailand if she enters on an Australian PPT and does'nt leave prior to the visa expiring then she is overstaying. She will need to do a border run.

Yes, a Thai national has to border runs. One way around it would be to get her a Thai PPT next time she returns to LOS and sebsequently depart on that.

My course of action once my wife and daughter arrive will be a 1500km trip to the Royal Thai consulate in Sydney or Canberra where we can apply for a PPT there. That should solve everything.

Oh well my wife wanted to see Sydney....

Archived