Strict New Controls on Foreigners

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will briefly describe my sources. Unfortunately, even though the new Land Department regulations were reported in yesterday?s edition of the Bangkok Post and today?s edition of The Nation, I cannot find a link to the article (I was hoping someone else here would be able to find it), but if you live in Bangkok and have access to today's edition of The Nation, turn to page page 3B and read the article under the headline "New property law vexes foreigners" - upper right hand corner of the page.

1. New Land Department Regulations: I pressed a friend at a law firm (who is still at work) for cite (we use his firm) and here it is: It is regulation no. MorThor 0515/Wor 1562 issued on 15 May 2006 (the newspapers report a different date) issued by Deputy Permanent Secretary for Interior, Mr. Surat Thongniramo.

2. This comes from (I believe it is) Section 7 of something called the Aliens Working in Thailand Act (I will try to confirm the exact name and section number), an announcement circulated by the Joint Foreign Chambers of Commerce in Thailand (JFFCT) and information conveyed to me when I had to renew my work permit recently (I am not going to give the date that occurred for obvious reasons.) The law defines ?work? very broadly, and includes attending business meetings. I know there have been several cases where foreigners have been arrested on work permit charges for simply attending meetings (I know some of the foreigners who were arrested) ? the Effective Planners case is famous, but there have been many other, less famous, cases. The JFCCT circular complained about the fact that foreigners can be arrested for simply attending a meeting or even a business convention and that a business visa offers no protection (I have a copy of this in my office, and will provide more details about the JFCCT circular after I bring a copy home ? I am doing this from memory). When I went to renew my work permit, the Thai lawyer who has handling my application told me about this new "get tough" policy and said that he recently had to bail out several foreigners caught working in the business center of a hotel recently. I asked him if this will apply business conventions, and he said that was the plan. I also asked what happened to the foreigners; he said they were deported. In any event, I will provide more detail after I dig this stuff out of my office.

3. The Deputy Permanent Secretary who signed the land department regulation also holds the title of ?Chief of the Internal Security Task Force.? You will not see this fact reported in the papers, but if any of you can are able to get a copy of the Land Department regulation you will be able to confirm this. In other words, I have a pretty reliable source of information that this was suggested at a meeting involving a task force, and I am sorry, but that is all I can safely say on this issue. Look at it this way, if I know that Deputy Permanent Secretary who signed the land department regulation also holds the title of Chief of the Internal Security Task Force (something not reported in the papers), I probably have a good source of information.

4. Tax Collections ? The fact that Thailand's tax revenues are falling short of its expenditures has been reported several times recently, including a report on this board about cuts to Education because of the shortfall. There was an article in Bangkok Post about a week back about giving bonuses to revenue department officials based on collections. I clipped the article and will post the date after I take a look in my office. I mentioned the date of the editorial cartoon ? this Monday. (Actually, I think there have been several; I only clipped one article.) The targeting of foreigners is something that has been discussed at AMCHAM committee meetings and informally at the table in meetings of the BCCT. I know the country manager of several large foreign companies that are very pissed off about this, and they are talking with each other about it. This has been out there for awhile.

I hope that is enough for now. As for why all of this is happening now, I want to think that one through a bit more. The short and honest answer is: I don't know, but I have some hunches.

Not replying to any particular poster, but all this just reminds me of a piece of advice given to me by a long time LOS resident when i 1st came to Thailand about 10 years ago. "make/keep your money in another country and enjoy spending it in Thailand". Very sound IMHO. I've never understood some peoples obsession with "owning" property in Thailand, or for that matter trying to fiddle visa or work permit regulations another favourite of "many bar room know it alls". Keep your money invested in your home country (except for perhaps a cheap, by western standards house for the wife in her village) and then rent in Thailand. Some of the prices (touched on by a previous poster) land/properties are now going for in places such as Phuket, Samui and Pattaya are just ludicrous for a 3rd world country like Thailand. And to be honest i have very little sympathy for the purchasers when it all goes pear shaped. I'm just amazed that someone that stupid can spend that amount of money on something they don't really own can make that much in the 1st place?!! I also remember being told by the same sort of people how daft i was actually doing my own visa runs a few years back when they used to get their passport to go "walkies" on its own! Of course i was'nt the one going to the embassy in brown trousers saying i'd "lost" my passport and asking for a new one when the Thai's had a clampdown on "non" visa runs a short while later.

Simie.

suadum said:

And who did you rip that off from? I say that since as usual you gave no credit/source...

Regards,

SD

i thought everyone had read this its been bouncing around for so long.

try stickmans website for a start then TV then BL and so on ..

Archived