Strict New Controls on Foreigners

<<2. Work Permit Laws will be Strictly Enforced: Under Thai law, you need a work permit even if you fly in for a single business meeting or to inspect a project. "Business Visas" do not count qualify. Even attending a business conference or convention constitutes work. >>

Where did you find that one? I wonder how it affects the Aust/Thai FTA, which included changes to work visa so aussies could ffly in and have meetings without the red tape.

DOG

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gadfly1 said:

3. Preference Share Companies: Many companies here are established where foreigners control companies through Thai shareholders holding preference shares with diminshed voting rights. In the past, Ministry of Commerce spokesperson have said these companies are fine as long as the Thai shareholders actually pay for their shares. That is no longer the rule, and the Ministry of Commerce has been directed to check on these companies retroactively.

It has been suggested that will have the authority to hand over such companies to either the government for liquidation or the exisiting Thai shareholders. No compensation will be provided to non-Thai shareholders. Again, this is described as a means of protecting Thais in difficult times.

I don't suppose you can provide a source for this announcement?

If indeed this is true (and I doubt it myself) the implications are far greater then you might realize as it certainly goes way beyond a few farangs owning a bar or buying their retirement homes.

TH

What idiots.

They want to make it difficult for farang to reside here, or to come here on business?

No problem. We can go to Malaysia. A country that has a fraction of the corruption, no vendors on the sidewalks, no garbage on the streets, no stench of sewage in the air, and cops that drive cheap cars, rather than Mercedes. It is slightly more expensive, the food sucks, and there are not nearly as many readily available women, but the welcome mat is out down there, and they know how to treat expatriates.

The Thai government wants Thailand to be just for Thais? No problem. They are welcome to it. They can practice stealing from each other, rather than from clueless farang.

The more time that I spend in Malaysia, or Hong Kong, or Singapore, the more that Thailand looks like an absurd bananna republic, with dim prospects.

In my personal opinion, you have to be an idiot to invest any money here.

The only reason to come to Thailand is good chow, and good pussy. That is it.

>>If indeed this is true (and I doubt it myself) the implications are far greater then you might realize as it certainly goes way beyond a few farangs owning a bar or buying their retirement homes. <<

Whatever agency is making these announcements really does not understand the implications. Once these college kids... i mean officials figure it out we will get a big retraction. Or: "The new policies have served their purpose and are no longer necessary."

I believe it was suggested in another thread that thaksin and his crowd are stirring the shit. Could be.

Gadfly1 said:

Over the last month the government has announced a number of new strict regulations on foreigners. In some cases, these are described as simply measures to enforece exisiting laws. Some of the new regulations:

1. Land:

2. Work Permit Laws

3. Preference Share Companies:

4. Tax Collections:

heard a rumour about one more new regulation:

5. No threatening of other foreign born board members on nanaplaza.com will be allowed! :)

josh_ingu said:

>for a single business meeting or to inspect a project. "Business Visas" do not count qualify. Even attending a business conference or convention constitutes work.

The Labour Department now intends to check attendees at all conventions and business centers at hotels. Violators will be arrested, fined and deported. The measure is intended to protect Thai jobs in difficult economic times.

Sigh. Yet another brilliant move that will have the exact opposite effect. Convention buisness is *big* buisness, and highly competitive within the region. They have (if this goes through) just killed it in Thailand.

I will leave the buisness side to those who know better, but would have thought they have just given greater impetus to buisness men to work with China etc rather than f*ck about in Thailand. More lost jobs.

>authority to hand over such companies to either the government for liquidation **or the exisiting Thai shareholders**.

LOL. Theft pure and simple. Wonder who has thier eye on what pot....

>Tax Collections: Thailand's tax revenues are falling short of its expenditures

and

>Companies with foreign shareholders are to be the subject of special scrutiny

LOl again. Never mind the recent Shin corp deal eh? Try and f*ck the farangs yet again....

Sigh, sigh and sigh.

-j-

Got to agree with you on that one. It just doesn't make sense and cannot be enforced but just what is the real agenda behind such a statement ?

Torre,

"Got to agree with you on that one. It just doesn't make sense and cannot be enforced but just what is the real agenda behind such a statement ?"

Looks to me to be rife for abuse by the unscrupulous. A way to knock out the middle and low level competitors, for the Thai business owners advantage. Also, some must be eyeing up all these nice homes built by farangs everywhere on what might be dubious means of skirting the law. Add to this the possibility of the bribes one can collect and it seems to these dolts a win/win situation for them. Never mind the effect this will have on the country and business as a whole. When have these fat cats and their lawmaking puppies in the government and the police ever cared about anything but themselves and their pockets? I can surely see this being used in many ways to fleece the farang and farang families/Thai families related to the farang. The big companies are covered really, but the smaller guys? Well, wait and see I guess. I can see there being much 'selective' enforcement, and tea money being paid by these guys to the 'enforcers'.

TIT.

Cent

could you quote a source for point 2-4?

if true this is indeed lunatic!

I think it shows under what poor coordination and leadership the current government is.

of course there are always some mad bureaucrats in such areas like labour department or the department, which regulates land ownership, that would like to issue such crazy regulations and check on business poeple at conventions or other measurements used in third world countries or countries under a mental ill dictator!

but there are as well a lot of bright guys with a bit a broader view in Finance, Foreign, Economy and Industry ministry and institutions like BOI and TAT, who should be able to keep the influence of such retroverted bureaucrats limited.

to bablance interests from various areas is one of the major duty of a government.

obviously the current government hast lost control about those bureaucrats!

Archived