Strict New Controls on Foreigners

simie said:

just amazed that someone that stupid can spend that amount of money on something they don't really own can make that much in the 1st place?!!

Simie.

there are plenty of new euro countries where you can double your money in a year on property .and be able to sell it on easilly unlike in LOS

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BuffHello said:
suadum said:

And who did you rip that off from? I say that since as usual you gave no credit/source...

Regards,

SD

i thought everyone had read this its been bouncing around for so long.

try stickmans website for a start then TV then BL and so on ..

No Offence towards Stickman, but it is rather weak to use a website of another persons opinions as the basis for ones own argument.

you mention the "Effective Planners case" as evidence, that foreigners can be caught (and fined or jailed or deported or whatsoever) by attending a business meeting.

I remember this case. they were the turnaround managers for the debt ridden TPI conglomerate. Khun Prachai, the former owner of TPI tried with all means to keep control of his company and as a very influential figure he found a few cops, who arrested Effective Planners' managers on charges, that they hold a business meeting outside the premises defined in the work permit; they all HAD work permits, but those are usually limited to certain locations.

in business conflicts, some influential thais have always taken all means to fight their foreign counterparts; that's nothing new!

but that authorities would crack down on their own on any convention or business meetings is a complete different issue!

the convention and exhbition business is worth billions of baht per year and brings thousands of visitors who spend more than your average sex tourist! it would come to a complete halt if arrests of foreigners without working permit would get public in the world press.

and all the foreign industrial investment on which the thai economy depends would dry out if the foreign executives could not travel anymore to thailand to control their investments.

BuffHello said:
suadum said:

And who did you rip that off from? I say that since as usual you gave no credit/source...

Regards,

SD

i thought everyone had read this its been bouncing around for so long.

try stickmans website for a start then TV then BL and so on ..

Sorry Buff,

That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard, if there ever is one.

Personally I don't read Stick's site anymore, been there done that so to say (still a good Stick!)

TV I do read however, but never came across this article.

What is so difficult stating where you get your sources from?

It's highly irritating IMHO that you almost never state where your articles originate from.

Unbelievable.

Ah, well.

Port Dickson, here I come.

A foreigner can own land in Malaysia.

They welcome foreign investment.

When I pass through customs at KUL, they grant 90-day visas with no hassle. Just a polite "welcome back, sir."

I will come up to Thailand to eat som tam and to replace girlfriends.

I have a standard response that I use when I catch Thais trying to rip me off.

I tell them, "yes, I am a farang, and yes, I am old, and I am fat, but I am not so stupid. I am going now, and I am taking my money with me. Who is clever now?"

I love the look on their faces when they realize that they have killed the goose that laid the golden egg.

Stupid people. They will reap what they sow.

Gadfly has said that he got this info from a friend ,

Is this official policy / law or just a few people ?

I cannot find any other place where this is quoted,

Is it just another rumor of impending doom that we seem to always get posted here ?

I am sure there is some kind of convention or converence today , next week and the week after , are they all being arrested ?

The Marriot business center is it getting raided every day ?

Yes I am concerned , as I guess I could be considered being in Thailand on business without a work permit.

I would just like more background info then what we have now

OC

frie

Gadfly1 said:

2. Work Permit Laws will be Strictly Enforced: Under Thai law, you need a work permit even if you fly in for a single business meeting or to inspect a project. "Business Visas" do not count qualify. Even attending a business conference or convention constitutes work.

The Labour Department now intends to check attendees at all conventions and business centers at hotels. Violators will be arrested, fined and deported. The measure is intended to protect Thai jobs in difficult economic times.

Meanwhile, the Tourism Authority of Thailand was trying to promote business tourism. It is not clear if the can do so in the face of this new directive.

Archived